Upgrading my gaming PCs video cards

DiamondDanno

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I've decided that its time to move on from my gtx 580 sli set up. Its served me extremely well with ZERO problems over the last few years but but would like to upgrade for a couple of upcoming games. Problem is I can't decide between a couple of 780 Ti cards or 2 980's. Am i wrong or do these 2 cards more or less offer the same performance?? All the benchmarks and reviews I've seen, show that they are more or less the same in game performance.
I play my games with nvidia surround and use this PC mainly for gaming. I figure the extra horse power would benefit the three monitors greatly as the 580s are beginning to hit the wall. I welcome the community's thoughts on which cards would benefit my system the most...

...on a side note would it be beneficial to change up my mobo as well? My CPU? <-- which btw is still stable after 3 1/2 years on 4.5GHz overclock.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Your CPU is fine - you could gain ~20% in CPU power if you upgraded to a 4670K @ 4.6 GHz - but this isn't likely to make a huge difference.

I'd go for the 780ti's. Why pay $580x2 for the 980's when you can get the 780TI for under $400 each - and from the reviews I've seen - get a lot better than 70% the performance for 70% of the price.

DiamondDanno

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the input. I decided to go for 2 Asus 980 Strix cards. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra dough and grab a new mobo though. Would it be worth it or would any performance gains be negligible?

terroralpha

Distinguished
Your GPUs should be fine with that CPU motherboard. Neither the CPU nor the PCI E bandwidth should be an issue for you. The only reason I got the ridiculous hardware that I have (see my sig) is because I have to run several virtual OSes for a project I'm doing. Otherwise I would have stayed with my 2600K

TRENDING THREADS