Upgrading my GPU for extra Vram

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
hi,

i own a gtx 770 2gb and a 1080p monitor.

the problem is that i think my vram wont be enough for future games like AC Unity and Batman Arkham Knight since more and more games require more than 2gb vram such as: wolfenstein: the new order,titanfall. i fear i wont be able to use my 770's maximum power without some extra vram and i'm used to play games at 1080p high-ultra with some aa: smaa,txaa,msaa.

i made a few calls and i think i can sell my 770 and buy the new gtx 970 (which has 4gb vram and cuda 6's unified memory support). this will cost me 272$, dont be shocked about the price, i live in Israel so even a ps4 costs 680$ here.

so my question is should i upgrade my gpu? is it really worth all the trouble?

p.s.

i must say im sorry to open a new thread on the subject over and over again but this problem really bothers me since i only bought my first real PC for gaming a year ago.

Solution

If you want to wait that's fine, especially considering that it seems most companies are trying to utilise the high Vram out of consoles. However, bear in mind that when the 4gb version of the gtx 770 came out, it was nearly double the price (some areas it was cheaper, some it was way over double). Considering the strength of the gtx 970, I highly doubt that there will be any difference between the 4gb and 8gb versions of the card, and the 4gb gtx 970 is leagues above the console gpu, but it is up to you, although I really don't think...

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Considering it costs you $480 for a 4gb 970, I'm guessing that an 8gb model would be closer to $700, just saying lol. Although I'm not faulting your decision, if you are pleased with your purchase, then that is fine, but I really think you are making a much bigger deal out of Vram than it really is.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Also, bear in mind that optimisation for consoles is a lot better than PC, as it is going on the basis of a specific set of hardware (same parts for all Xbones, same parts for all PS4s), so even though they don't have a huge amount of power by themselves, they are actually a lot more efficient than their console counterparts. The extra Vram itself means next to nothing normally, but because it is so easy to optimise for consoles, it means Vram has a reasonably higher potential (although not enough for it to make all that much difference, maybe 5-10 fps).

When ported over, due to the fact it isn't nearly at the same level of optimisation (EG In a thousand PCs, let's say there's around 500 different builds). This often means that it comes down to the shear power of the components, and the Vram makes very little difference after a certain point.

Comparing consoles to PCs is very complicated, because there are so many factors, but it is safe to say that with a card like a gtx 970, you will beat the consoles in any game graphics wise, no matter the Vram requirements.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Consoles have access to more vram at res below 1080p and some games use more than 3.5 so they can run properly on 1080p with some aa. That is the reason i think upcoming games are going to need more than 4 vram to run on max settings 1080p with aa.