[SOLVED] Upgrading my gpu

Apr 9, 2020
Guys so i just removed my gtx 960 2gb cause i am getting a 1660 ti tommorow so i wanted to ask if i need to remove my old drivers? Ir what to do since i am pretty new with building/replacing hardware

Solution
Lastest Geforce Driver Download Page

Before you exchange the graphics card. Download and install the latest drivers from NVidia. You'll note under the supported products section it lists both the GTX 960 as well as the GTX 1660Ti.

Then, when you receive your graphics card, shut down your computer, exchange the card, and reboot. Should be as simple as that. No need for a third party app.

-Wolf sends
May 12, 2020
I did the same thing when I replaced my 760 with a 970. - just took the old one out and put the new one in.

Of course if you want to do it super-clean then remove all the drivers before you remove the old card, preferably with DDU as well. Windows will then give the GPU a generic driver. Then turn it all off, replace card, boot it up and install the latest Nvidia driver package.

Reactions: Ferimer
Apr 9, 2020
I did the same thing when I replaced my 760 with a 970. - just took the old one out and put the new one in.

Of course if you want to do it super-clean then remove all the drivers before you remove the old card, preferably with DDU as well. Windows will then give the GPU a generic driver. Then turn it all off, replace card, boot it up and install the latest Nvidia driver package.
Oke doke thanks

Ferimer

Distinguished

What Letto is saying in case you need to know a bit more since you say you are new. Download the program called DDU which stands for Display Driver Uinstaller, what that program will do is allow you to remove any and all old drivers for GPUS and when you plug in your new GPU it will update accordingly. the best thing is to start clean you dont want to run into any problems with old drivers mixing with your new GPU. so safe bet is run that program and go from there, it has all the steps listed in the program itself on what to do but if you need more instruction feel free to ask

Reactions: Letto
I am not a fan of helper apps.
I always wonder how they make their money and what tracking software might be left on my pc.

Your new card should install just fine.
Take out the old and install the new.
If you are not on the current nvidia driver level, download it directly from nvidia and install it.
If you do not have any settings you want to preserve you can opt for a clean install.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Before you exchange the graphics card. Download and install the latest drivers from NVidia. You'll note under the supported products section it lists both the GTX 960 as well as the GTX 1660Ti.

Then, when you receive your graphics card, shut down your computer, exchange the card, and reboot. Should be as simple as that. No need for a third party app.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Apr 9, 2020

-Wolf sends
Thanks alot

Apr 9, 2020
I am not a fan of helper apps.
I always wonder how they make their money and what tracking software might be left on my pc.

Your new card should install just fine.
Take out the old and install the new.
If you are not on the current nvidia driver level, download it directly from nvidia and install it.
If you do not have any settings you want to preserve you can opt for a clean install.
Thank uuu