Question upgrading my laptop cpu from i3 350M to i7 720QM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2022
so i have a ASUS K42F-VX332D, it currently has a i3 350M and i want to upgrade it to i7 720QM
is it possible?

more specs:

Chipset: Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge Rev. 12
Southbridge Intel HM55 Rev. 06

BIOS:
American Megatrends Inc.
Version 416
Date 09/03/2010

also it said on the package: "Socket 989 rPGA" can i put i7 720qm in there?

Although of different generations (Arandale vs Clarksfield), they both use PGA988 socket (i3 is also listed as BGA1288).
Intel APK for i3-350m
Intel APK for i7-740qm
However: Former is based on 32nm tech, while later at 45nm, and I do believe you might have problems with cooling.

If you have this i7 CPU available, and you're capable of swapping it properly - go for it. Be sure you update BIOS first.

I've found several reviews of this laptop in i5-540m configuration, it is probably a safer upgrade plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: nativoffl

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure how reliable it would be at this point, having been so long...

Search your model number for the cut sheet/advertisements. It should list all the options that were possible with the chassis. If it has an i3 now it may well not have power delivery and cooling robust enough. If it wasn't available for the model chances are that it's no.

Aug 20, 2022
Although of different generations (Arandale vs Clarksfield), they both use PGA988 socket (i3 is also listed as BGA1288).
Intel APK for i3-350m
Intel APK for i7-740qm
However: Former is based on 32nm tech, while later at 45nm, and I do believe you might have problems with cooling.

If you have this i7 CPU available, and you're capable of swapping it properly - go for it. Be sure you update BIOS first.

I've found several reviews of this laptop in i5-540m configuration, it is probably a safer upgrade plan.

cooling i can take care just by modding the chassi of this laptop,

and upgrading to i5 540m, its just 10% more performance than i3 350m, and the price too didn't suite me well.

Aug 20, 2022
Not sure how reliable it would be at this point, having been so long...

Search your model number for the cut sheet/advertisements. It should list all the options that were possible with the chassis. If it has an i3 now it may well not have power delivery and cooling robust enough. If it wasn't available for the model chances are that it's no.

what happen if the power delivery isnt enough?

the i3 350m is rated at 25W of power
the i7 720QM or 740QM is rated at 45W of power

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lenovo is just as bad as Dell when it comes to proprietaryism. So regardless of whether the cpu fits, will work or not is irrelevant if the bios does not identify the cpu as actually being a viable cpu. You must first check any info from Lenovo or other related sites to see exactly what (if any) cpu upgrades are possible for your particular model bios. Intel specs do Not apply here, only Lenovo.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's not impossible for this upgrade to work, but it's unlikely. Laptop BIOS are notoriously picky about what CPUs they accept, and even desktop boards at the time could be finicky about different Nehalem families. If forced to guess, I'd probably guess about a 10-20% chance that this upgrade will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.