Question Upgrading my masterliquid lite 120 to Masterliquid ML240R worth?

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Halo, i wanna upgrade my cooler to 240mm liquid cooler. Is it worth it the difference in temp and performance? Cause my temp when idle with my old 120mm liquid cooler about 45 degrees.

FYI im using ryzen 5 3600 and masterliquid lite 120 as my cpu cooler

Last edited:
Halo, i wanna upgrade my cooler to 240mm liquid cooler. Is it worth it the difference in temp and performance? Cause my temp when idle with my old 120mm liquid cooler about 45 degrees.

FYI im using ryzen 5 3600 and masterliquid lite 120 as my cpu cooler
Larger cooler is not going to reduce idle temperatures which are not as important as maximal temps. 10 - 15c higher than temps inside the case are quite normal.
Check how actually idle iz your system, even if you are not doing anything, system may be running stuff in the background.
Is your pump connected to a header that runs it at full speed all the time ? Other thing that can affect temps is CPU voltage, some MBs set it too high, at true idle it should drop to under 1v.

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Larger cooler is not going to reduce idle temperatures which are not as important as maximal temps. 10 - 15c higher than temps inside the case are quite normal.
Check how actually idle iz your system, even if you are not doing anything, system may be running stuff in the background.
Is your pump connected to a header that runs it at full speed all the time ? Other thing that can affect temps is CPU voltage, some MBs set it too high, at true idle it should drop to under 1v.

Ya when idle the temperature like fluctuating so fast about 40-50 degrees celcius.
Yes my pump connected to a header and i control all the fans in bios all PWM setting full speed. And im running my ryzen 5 3600 with PBO Auto.
Its my first time change platform to amd so i dont know the temp that ryzen actually produce. My old i7 4790k @stock using the same aio liquid cooler just sit about 35-38 degrees celcius when idle.

Ya when idle the temperature like fluctuating so fast about 40-50 degrees celcius.
Yes my pump connected to a header and i control all the fans in bios all PWM setting full speed. And im running my ryzen 5 3600 with PBO Auto.
Its my first time change platform to amd so i dont know the temp that ryzen actually produce. My old i7 4790k @stock using the same aio liquid cooler just sit about 35-38 degrees celcius when idle.
What are your temps under a full load ? That's where it counts most . TjMax is 85c I believe.

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
What are your temps under a full load ? That's where it counts most . TjMax is 85c I believe.

I already try stress test using cpu-z for about just 2 minutes i think and the temp sit about 77c. I wanna try full load in games and try stress it again soon for a longer time so the actual full load temp can be seen.

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
That CM cooler is equivalent to cheaper air coolers so if you are overclocking it may not be enough.

Ah i see. Btw what liquid cooler that good enough to OC a bit ryzen 5 3600? I want try OC just a bit, but seeing my idle temp already fluctuating 40-50c im scared to OC my 3600. Or is it better to just buy decent air cooler?

Ah i see. Btw what liquid cooler that good enough to OC a bit ryzen 5 3600? I want try OC just a bit, but seeing my idle temp already fluctuating 40-50c im scared to OC my 3600. Or is it better to just buy decent air cooler?
Well, I have CM Nepton 140XL for some time now, it managed to cool my FX 8350 at 4.9 - 5 GHz cool enough and now with Ryzen CPUs 1600x, 1700x, 2700x and now 3700x cool enough for any OC they could reach. It's double thickness radiator with 140mm push pull fans.
That Masterliquid ML240R should do the trick too.

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Well, I have CM Nepton 140XL for some time now, it managed to cool my FX 8350 at 4.9 - 5 GHz cool enough and now with Ryzen CPUs 1600x, 1700x, 2700x and now 3700x cool enough for any OC they could reach. It's double thickness radiator with 140mm push pull fans.
That Masterliquid ML240R should do the trick too.

Ah ok i see. I think i will test it once more and if it's still pretty hot uner full load i think i'll get Masterliquid ML240R in front as intake. Thanks for your answer bro.