Question Upgrading my motherboard + cpu

aurimas9520

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Hello, I currently have ryzen 1600x and b350 gaming pro carbon motherboard. I'm gonna change them into an i7-9700k + z390 asus rog maximus xi hero and my question is will i need to install new windows? Or I'm ok to just boot and everything will run

aurimas9520

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depends,
If you only have 1 drive in PC, then you should backup anything you want to keep as clean install includes wiping drive
if you have 2 drives or more, you should move everything onto 2nd drive as 1st one will need to be wiped. 2 drives makes everything easier.

aurimas9520

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Depends,
If you only have 1 drive in PC, then you should backup anything you want to keep as clean install includes wiping drive
if you have 2 drives or more, you should move everything onto 2nd drive as 1st one will need to be wiped. 2 drives makes everything easier.
yeah, i have an ssd where i have my windows and some games, and an hdd

Colif

Win 11 Master
if games are from steam, copy the games library onto hdd and you won't need to download them again after move.

when you install windows, only put ssd in as it stops windows trying to put any of itself on hdd. It might if given choice, put boot partition on hdd, and then, if hdd dies or is replaced, win 10 won't boot. Once ssd boots a few times by itself, put hdd back in. First time you try to access a folder on old drive, win 10 will offer to give you control.

TRENDING THREADS