Upgrading my Motherboard

lawrencendlw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I am upgrading my HP Pavilion M7750n pc and i only have 3 original parts left (the CPU, motherboard, and the case itself) and im worried that the motherboard i want to put in there isnt going to fit so i wanted to ask before i purchased the parts and started. Also i wanted to see if you guys can forsee any other problems that i might run into with what im trying to do. I want to put a Asus P6T SE board , Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz CPU, and a CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model: CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 ram kit. I guess what im asking is if it is possible with minimal problems. I have upgraded my PS already to a 650w so between my processor and my Nvidia GeForce 8800gt i think that there should be more than enough power as to me not having issues with it right? Thanks in advance for any insite into my predicament that you might have.

You may need another operating system. It won't work on a non hp motherboard bios. I recommend a micro atx board for your hp case. Haven't looked at yours for sizing, but most hp cases are micro atx. checkout the msi x58m extreme. I use msi boards, and they work pretty well. I had no problems overclocking a propus 620 recently on a low end msi board. If you need another operating system, I found mine on craigslist.

lawrencendlw

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Yeah i plan on getting windows 7 64bit OEM version from newegg. here let me give you a list of what i am planning on getting and maybe that will give you a better idea of what im asking.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

and i currently have a BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800GT OC and like i said i have the case for a HP Pavilion M7750n media center TV PC which has a Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard with a form factor of Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in and a RAIDMAX VOLCANO RX-630A 630W power supply. so my only concern is that the board that i want to get isnt going to fit in the case but i dont want to buy a case if i dont have to because i like having the HP case so that it just looks like a old HP and not the awesome computer that it actually is. Kind of like having a beat down looking car with a super fast engine in it. a sleeper =) and again any insite to my predicament that you can offer guys will be much appreciated. but i am pretty set on the parts that i have chosen to buy because they are all very very compatible with each other and will be a huge upgrade from my AMD athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz and my 4 gigs of ddr2 ram lol