[SOLVED] Upgrading my old as heck PC and need some suggestions.

CattCaller

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
As the title states, I'm updating my old as heck PC and I would love to know opinions and suggestions on what route I should go for this.

Can anyone help me out in upgrading my pc? I just recently bought an ASUS Cerberus GTX1070ti Advanced edition and would like to upgrade my build to not have the card bottlenecked.

My CPU is - AMD A10-6800k 4.3Ghz
Motherboard is - Gigabyte F2A85X -UP4
RAM is - 12 GB of DDR3 1500 Mhz Single Channel
GPU is - ASUS GTX 1070ti Cerberus Advanced 8GB GDDR5
Power Supply - Corsair CX 850M 80 Plus Bronze Certified.

I've got about 4 terrabytes of storage data.
a 500 GB SSD that has windows and my main design and editing software installed on.

I'll be picking up the pieces as the months roll by slowly, not all at once.
And for a budget to upgrade, I'm looking at about 350 to 400 dollars.
Any and all help is appreciated!

Solution
The problem with purchasing slowly is the your gpu is way too powerful for your rig atm, so when you game, you'll likely experience major frame drops/performance issues. That and easy return window will expire and returning to the manufacture is a pia. Also, it's not really an upgrade anymore but a new system as there are no upgrades for your system.

It may be possible that windows will work right off the bat after being plugged into the new system, but if not, you'll need to transfer the data manually to another drive.

But yes, I'd say to pickup the ram/cpu first, and the board last, as failure rates for cpu's and ram are far lower then boards.

The i5 8600k/9600k will provide the best performance for strictly gaming, but the total...
The problem with purchasing slowly is the your gpu is way too powerful for your rig atm, so when you game, you'll likely experience major frame drops/performance issues. That and easy return window will expire and returning to the manufacture is a pia. Also, it's not really an upgrade anymore but a new system as there are no upgrades for your system.

It may be possible that windows will work right off the bat after being plugged into the new system, but if not, you'll need to transfer the data manually to another drive.

But yes, I'd say to pickup the ram/cpu first, and the board last, as failure rates for cpu's and ram are far lower then boards.

The i5 8600k/9600k will provide the best performance for strictly gaming, but the total cost will go over your budget, so with that in mind,

CPU: Ryzen 2600 or Ryzen 2600x , 2600 should be ample enough, but if you don't plan to overclock, the 2600x may be the better option as it has a higher speed and better cooler.
Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 ,it's on the supported QVL, but you can go with any 2x8gb that is ddr4 3000 or 3200 usually.
Motherboard: MSI b450 atx , there are many other options with cheaper options in the m-atx form factor, but a b450 or x470 chipset are guaranteed to be compatible with 2nd gen ryzen. Any brand that you fancy will do.

Reactions: CattCaller
Solution

CattCaller

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

The i5 8600k/9600k will provide the best performance for strictly gaming, but the total cost will go over your budget, so with that in mind,

CPU: Ryzen 2600 or Ryzen 2600x , 2600 should be ample enough, but if you don't plan to overclock, the 2600x may be the better option as it has a higher speed and better cooler.
Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 ,it's on the supported QVL, but you can go with any 2x8gb that is ddr4 3000 or 3200 usually.
Motherboard: MSI b450 atx , there are many other options with cheaper options in the m-atx form factor, but a b450 or x470 chipset are guaranteed to be compatible with 2nd gen ryzen. Any brand that you fancy will do.

Thanks for the advice! Picking up the RAM and the CPU will be my first priority.
A quick question, is it generally a bad practice to go for open boxed products when you're looking to pick up motherboards?

I ask this because Second-Hand I might be able to pick up a high end board with a substantial discount, if possible, or it might just let me pick up some m.2 NVMe drives to install windows fresh.

Any thoughts on that?