Upgrading my old build for a better one, but I don't know what to choose [limited budget].

Dezzled

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
Hello, I'm new on this website, and i wonder if you could help me on choosing new parts on a limited budget (500-600$). Here are my specs :

i5-4590 3,3GHz Socket 1150
Nvidia GTX970 4 GB
8GB of RAM DDR3 1600MHz
MSI GAMING 3 Z97
1TB HDD

I think that my CPU needs to be replaced by a better one, and should I change my motherboard to access DDR4 memory or should I just buy some more memory? Thank you for reading. (If my english sounds bad, it's normal because it's not my first language).

Solution
I would get an I7-4790K and 8GB more of ram for your board, then if you like upgrade that video card to a 1060 6GB or 1070.
the 4790K handles itself as fast as the I7-6700K so I don't see why you need to swap out whole system.
the extra ram is needed now a days when playing games and though the 970 is still a decent card you could use an upgrade

Dezzled

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

I may try that, and should I try replacing by faster ram or just by adding more of it? Thank you though.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Bumping this: your CPU is still pretty fast, but you could definitely do with more RAM. You're most likely to *notice* an upgrade to a GTX 1070 (any less of an upgrade won't necessarily be noticeable). More and faster RAM will also make a noticeable difference especially if you're upgrading to an 8GB card.

I personally wouldn't recommend a CPU upgrade unless you monitor it and actually see bottlenecks with your current setup. the 4790K is great and all, but you won't notice it as much unless you're using really well-threaded code (which most games still are not) and actually making *use* of all 8 threads.