[SOLVED] Upgrading my old pc.Help

Aug 4, 2021
Budget:1100-1200 Euro
Greece

My current pc is getting old(i7-6700 non k,16gb of Ram,500gb m.2 and a 1070)
I was thinking of buying a new cpu,ram,mobo,cpu cooler and m.2 combo
New build:
Cpu:Intel Core i7-12700K 2.7GHz 445€
Ram:32 gb 3600ghz 165€
Cooler: Noctua Nh-u12a 125€
M.2: Samsung 980 pro 1tb 175€
Mobo: Gigabyte Z690 gaming x. 220€
Gpu:Will use my old gtx 1070
Psu:I already have an Rmx 750x
Case:My current case
Should I get a new GPU "3070 or 3060ti" with the same money and don't upgrade the cpu?
The 3070 costs 1100 -1200€ in my country atm
I have two 27' 1080p 144 hz monitors
Any advice?

Solution
Keep the 1070. It does just fine for 1080p 144Hz. A 3060/ti will do better, but only if you aren't using Raytracing, which honestly is more of a visual gimmick that sucks the life out of fps. I'd be more concerned with shooting the idiot coming around the corner than worried that the shadows on his AK are visually appealing.

The 6700 isn't that old. It's realistically only 1 generation and some tweaks old since everything newer excepting 12th gen is based on that same skylake architecture. You are not 'loosing' performance anywhere, your pc runs the same games today at the same rate it did back when.

A newer platform will get you higher fps, but that may or may not help, if the game becomes gpu bound the fps is wasted numbers.

You...

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Budget:1100-1200 Euro
Greece

My current pc is getting old(i7-6700 non k,16gb of Ram,500gb m.2 and a 1070)
I was thinking of buying a new cpu,ram,mobo,cpu cooler and m.2 combo
New build:
Cpu:Intel Core i7-12700K 2.7GHz 445€
Ram:32 gb 3600ghz 165€
Cooler: Noctua Nh-u12a 125€
M.2: Samsung 980 pro 1tb 175€
Mobo: Gigabyte Z690 gaming x. 220€
Gpu:Will use my old gtx 1070
Psu:I already have an Rmx 750x
Case:My current case
Should I get a new GPU "3070 or 3060ti" with the same money and don't upgrade the cpu?
The 3070 costs 1100 -1200€ in my country atm
I have two 27' 1080p 144 hz monitors
Any advice?
I would definitely keep your 1070 for now. If you want to save some money you could also downgrade to the 12600k and save 150€ or so. Because even once you get a 3060 ti or 3070 the 12600k would still be a perfect pair.

USAFRet

Titan
I was thinking buying the 3070 first.It costs as much as the whole upgrade.I will get double fps tho.
What should i do?
Adding a 3070 to the i7-6700 will NOT get you "double fps".

The CPU is mostly in control of FPS, the GPU in control of the eyecandy.

You would get mostly the same FPS as you have now, but you'd be able to turn the graphics up to Ludicrous level.

Reactions: DDEVI
the non-K 6700, which at all core loads likely only hums along at 3.7 GHz or so, will definitely limit performance, particularly at 1080P and 1440P...

I'd toss it into the 'upgrade now' list, and proceed with your 12700K plan (although the 12600K gives ~98% of the gaming performance of the 12700K, if there are any budget constraints/concerns...)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Keep the 1070. It does just fine for 1080p 144Hz. A 3060/ti will do better, but only if you aren't using Raytracing, which honestly is more of a visual gimmick that sucks the life out of fps. I'd be more concerned with shooting the idiot coming around the corner than worried that the shadows on his AK are visually appealing.

The 6700 isn't that old. It's realistically only 1 generation and some tweaks old since everything newer excepting 12th gen is based on that same skylake architecture. You are not 'loosing' performance anywhere, your pc runs the same games today at the same rate it did back when.

A newer platform will get you higher fps, but that may or may not help, if the game becomes gpu bound the fps is wasted numbers.

You don't need a 980 Pro. For gaming purposes it's severe overkill expense that doesn't get used. Bad value. A 2Tb 980 Evo will give you the same performance for roughly the same price and be more reliable for longer as MTBF scales better with larger drives.

12700k is the go-to all around cpu. The 12900k is barely the current productivity leader and gaming leader, but that's a technicality award. With a 144Hz monitor, it doesn't mean anything whether you get 330fps from a Ryzen 5900x, 340fps from a 12700k or 350fps from a 12900k. You cannot physically see any difference in anything other than a benchmark. So the 12700k looks great for value vrs it's big brother, if productivity is your game, but for gaming, the 320fps 12600k is by far the best value.

The only issue with all that is good luck getting DDR5 without forking over an arm and a leg, the remaking pair after forking over an arm and a leg for a gpu of any decent power.

You have a budget. Get the best value you can out of it, the performance gains to be had with top tier items over the mid line stuff is currently a pathetically small %.

Personally, I'd wait for Zen4. If that has anything close to the gains seen from each gen of Ryzen, Intel will be back in 2nd place (last place according to Ricky Bobby) and it'll give Ddr5 time to mature and hopefully time for gpu markets to change. Might even see the release of the 40 series nvidia.

Solution
Dec 10, 2021

You don't need a 980 Pro. For gaming purposes it's severe overkill expense that doesn't get used. Bad value. A 2Tb 980 Evo will give you the same performance for roughly the same price and be more reliable for longer as MTBF scales better with larger drives.

12700k is the go-to all around cpu. The 12900k is barely the current productivity leader and gaming leader, but that's a technicality award. With a 144Hz monitor, it doesn't mean anything whether you get 330fps from a Ryzen 5900x, 340fps from a 12700k or 350fps from a 12900k. You cannot physically see any difference in anything other than a benchmark. So the 12700k looks great for value vrs it's big brother, if productivity is your game, but for gaming, the 320fps 12600k is by far the best value.

The only issue with all that is good luck getting DDR5 without forking over an arm and a leg, the remaking pair after forking over an arm and a leg for a gpu of any decent power.

You have a budget. Get the best value you can out of it, the performance gains to be had with top tier items over the mid line stuff is currently a pathetically small %.

Personally, I'd wait for Zen4. If that has anything close to the gains seen from each gen of Ryzen, Intel will be back in 2nd place (last place according to Ricky Bobby) and it'll give Ddr5 time to mature and hopefully time for gpu markets to change. Might even see the release of the 40 series nvidia.

1070 is good but 3070 is beast. But the budget suskcs. Though, your explanation level is insane mate!

Aug 4, 2021

1070 is good but 3070 is beast. But the budget suskcs. Though, your explanation level is insane mate!
I don't want to wait for upgrading.Always sth new and faster will come out.
I believe that buying a 3070 first and upgrading my cpu later in time is bad choice.
Most likely my old cpu will bottleneck the new Gpu and will have less fps ?
If i buy the 3070 before upgrading my cpu will i have more fps than my 1070 ?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu = fps
Gpu = eye candy

The cpu takes all the code strings and instructions and objects and Ai and pre-effects etc and organizes them into a frames worth of data. It ships that to the gpu which takes the data, renders it all into a wire frame, then fills in colors, shadows, affects etc, according to resolution. The amount of times per second those 2 can be accomplished is fps.

If the cpu can deliver more than the gpu can render before the next frame is due, you get a gpu bottleneck. With a weak cpu, strong gpu you'll tend to get low fps, high eye candy because there's no real difference in fps whether medium or ultra settings. With a strong cpu, weak gpu you'll tend to be gpu bottlenecked, gotta run low-medium or suffer low fps.

Either way, you get low fps with a piecemeal upgrade, doesn't really matter if the chicken or the egg came first. You need to have both to get high fps and high eye candy. The amendment to that is resolution.

That's a game changer. At 1080p, very few gpus are going to struggle with getting beyond even 144Hz with high or better settings. At 4k most gpus will struggle to get beyond 60Hz with high or better settings. At 1080p the cpu will generally be the limiting factor, stronger the cpu, higher the fps. At 4k, it's generally the gpu being the limiting factor.

After affects change all that. Stuff like Hair-works, Raytracing, AA, Ai, scripts etc applied to either gpu or cpu change everything.

In a nutshell, you'll not be happy until you have both cpu and gpu. It's why I advised to wait. Granted you'll get more pleasure from gpu first, it shows the largest gains in fps freedom, the downside being the cost. You'll end up spending $4k for a $1500 pc. When Zen4 drops, ppl will be clearing shelf space, warehouse space. Sales on Zen3 galore. When nvidia drops the 40 series, interest in the 30 series will dry up. Miners will be dumping their cards, buying up all the 4080's and 4090's they can, hard core gamers and impulse buyers will be clearing shelves etc. I advised waiting not for the new stuff, but because of the new stuff.

Aug 4, 2021
Cpu = fps
Gpu = eye candy

The cpu takes all the code strings and instructions and objects and Ai and pre-effects etc and organizes them into a frames worth of data. It ships that to the gpu which takes the data, renders it all into a wire frame, then fills in colors, shadows, affects etc, according to resolution. The amount of times per second those 2 can be accomplished is fps.

If the cpu can deliver more than the gpu can render before the next frame is due, you get a gpu bottleneck. With a weak cpu, strong gpu you'll tend to get low fps, high eye candy because there's no real difference in fps whether medium or ultra settings. With a strong cpu, weak gpu you'll tend to be gpu bottlenecked, gotta run low-medium or suffer low fps.

Either way, you get low fps with a piecemeal upgrade, doesn't really matter if the chicken or the egg came first. You need to have both to get high fps and high eye candy. The amendment to that is resolution.

That's a game changer. At 1080p, very few gpus are going to struggle with getting beyond even 144Hz with high or better settings. At 4k most gpus will struggle to get beyond 60Hz with high or better settings. At 1080p the cpu will generally be the limiting factor, stronger the cpu, higher the fps. At 4k, it's generally the gpu being the limiting factor.

After affects change all that. Stuff like Hair-works, Raytracing, AA, Ai, scripts etc applied to either gpu or cpu change everything.

In a nutshell, you'll not be happy until you have both cpu and gpu. It's why I advised to wait. Granted you'll get more pleasure from gpu first, it shows the largest gains in fps freedom, the downside being the cost. You'll end up spending $4k for a $1500 pc. When Zen4 drops, ppl will be clearing shelf space, warehouse space. Sales on Zen3 galore. When nvidia drops the 40 series, interest in the 30 series will dry up. Miners will be dumping their cards, buying up all the 4080's and 4090's they can, hard core gamers and impulse buyers will be clearing shelves etc. I advised waiting not for the new stuff, but because of the new stuff.
I ordered it
Waiting 7 months is too long