[SOLVED] Upgrading my old PC! Need advice

Mar 3, 2020
Hello everyone!

I built my PC more than 7 years ago and I think it is overdue on some upgrades. I was thinking of getting a GTX 1050 for the GPU. I would also like to know if it is compatible with my specs. I would also love to have some recommendations for any upgrades to my specs. I don't really play and games that are super graphicly intense but it would be nice if I can run these types of games smoothly maybe at medium-low settings (most of the time I play Fortnite with some fps drops).

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 (MS-7816)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
PSU: CX 750
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-9 1.50V 8GB (2x4GB)

Solution
Hello everyone!

I built my PC more than 7 years ago and I think it is overdue on some upgrades. I was thinking of getting a GTX 1050 for the GPU. I would also like to know if it is compatible with my specs. I would also love to have some recommendations for any upgrades to my specs. I don't really play and games that are super graphicly intense but it would be nice if I can run these types of games smoothly maybe at medium-low settings (most of the time I play Fortnite with some fps drops).

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Hello everyone!

My specs:

Hi,

So a GTX 1050 isn't a bad bet for a machine that spec.... that said the newer 1650 Super is a really good card (and much faster than the 1050) and I think the CPU can handle it so could be worth a look. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with either card.

Other upgrades I would look at for that machine... it would probably be a good idea to bump the ram up to 16gb as quite a few modern games can max out 8gb nowadays. If your motherboard has a couple of free slots then easy enough to add another 2 sticks of the same kit (should still be able to get it easy enough).

Reactions: Jakuu
Solution
Mar 3, 2020
Hi,

So a GTX 1050 isn't a bad bet for a machine that spec.... that said the newer 1650 Super is a really good card (and much faster than the 1050) and I think the CPU can handle it so could be worth a look. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with either card.

Other upgrades I would look at for that machine... it would probably be a good idea to bump the ram up to 16gb as quite a few modern games can max out 8gb nowadays. If your motherboard has a couple of free slots then easy enough to add another 2 sticks of the same kit (should still be able to get it easy enough).
I'll definitely look into the 1650 too. And yeah for the RAM it seems like I'll have to add 2 more sticks. Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: cdrkf

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't see any information about your monitor specs:
  • Resolution?
  • Refresh rate?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

The GTX 1050 would be really a side-grade from the GTX 660. Not much of a performance gain. Best bang for buck would be the RX570 if you're in the US.

Is that power supply as old as the rest of the system? The older Corsair CX power supplies weren't great, though the newer (2017) versions are, well, adequate. I'd recommend replacing it, even if you weren't making any other changes. See the first link in my sig for recommendations.

Reactions: WildCard999
rx 570 sure look like a good option, ill definitely look into it. Thanks!

I once had a GTX1050 and learn it the hard way because the RX570 became popular a week later. What is your budget? The best card I can recommend is a 1660 super for around £200 (256$) The RX570 is a good GPU but you can find RX580's for the same price used. My friend got an RX590 used for £90 (115$) and has no problems with it at all.