knight sharma

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
I recently switched back to my old rig. I'm planning to upgrade the memory and adding up few more fans for better cooling. What all are the upgrades that will be requires to get the best performance out of the rig.? Hardware configuration is listed below:-

CPU Fan
Intel Pentium D Socket 775 Heat Sink and Fan D34017-002

Chassis Fan
Planning to put on.

Networking module
Tenda W311M Wireless N150 Nano USB Adapter

SMPS
Zebronics AC 230V

Processor (CPU)
CPU Name: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
Threading: 1 CPU - 2 Core - 2 Threads
Frequency: 2999.84 MHz (15 * 199.99 MHz)
Multiplier Current: 15 / Min: 6 / Max: 15
Architecture: Wolfdale / Stepping: R0 / Technology: 45 nm
CPUID / Ext.: 6.7.A / 6.17
IA Extensions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
Caches: L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 2048 KB
Caches Assoc.: L1D : 8-way / L2 : 8-way
Microcode: Rev. 0xA0B
TDP / Vcore: 65 Watts / 1.232 Volts
Temperature: 69 °C / 156 °F
Type: Retail (Stock Frequency : 3000 MHz)
Cores Frequencies: #00: 2999.84 MHz  #01: 2999.84 MHz

Motherboard
Model: Asus P5G41C-M LX
Socket: Socket 775 LGA
North Bridge: Intel G41 rev A3
South Bridge: Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev A1
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0601 (10/14/2010)

Memory (RAM)
Total Size:2048 MB
Type:Single Channel (64 bit) DDR3-SDRAM
Frequency:400 MHz (DDR3-800) - Ratio 1:2
Timings:6-6-6-15-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCR)
Slot #1 Module:2048 MB (DDR3-1337)

Graphic Card (GPU)
GPU Type: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
GPU Brand: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Storage (HDD/SSD)
Model #1 Name: Hitachi HDS721050CLA660 (FW: JP2OA41A)
Model #1 Capacity: 465.8 GiB (~500 GB)
Model #1 Type: Fixed - Bus: ATA (3)
Model #2 Name: Seagate ST3250310CS (FW: 3.ACD)
Model #2 Capacity: 232.9 GiB (~250 GB)
Model #2 Type: Fixed - Bus: ATA (3)

Display
Screen #1: Hewlett Packard HP W1972a (HWP3012)
Screen #1 Spec: 18.5 inches (47 cm) / 1366 x 768 pixels @ 50-76 Hz

6y5us9-4.png

Last edited:
Solution
For home use, it looks pretty fine to me. I think a simple RAM upgrade should do the trick. You may also want to consider an SSD to install Windows on. The speed difference of adding an SSD will be quite significant for everyday use/browsing/office and I think you may appreciate it.

Your motherboard supports DDR3 RAM up to 1333MHz but the 2GB RAM stick that's already installed is 800MHz so I would suggest getting the same speed as you cannot run 2 different sticks at 2 different speeds. They will all default to the lowest speed of the 2 sticks.

Are you planning on running Windows 10? In which case I would highly suggest getting a 2x4GB as Windows 10 itself can take up to 3GB by itself. Add a couple of Chrome tabs and you're already...
For home use, it looks pretty fine to me. I think a simple RAM upgrade should do the trick. You may also want to consider an SSD to install Windows on. The speed difference of adding an SSD will be quite significant for everyday use/browsing/office and I think you may appreciate it.

Your motherboard supports DDR3 RAM up to 1333MHz but the 2GB RAM stick that's already installed is 800MHz so I would suggest getting the same speed as you cannot run 2 different sticks at 2 different speeds. They will all default to the lowest speed of the 2 sticks.

Are you planning on running Windows 10? In which case I would highly suggest getting a 2x4GB as Windows 10 itself can take up to 3GB by itself. Add a couple of Chrome tabs and you're already over 4GB of use.

What do you mean by slowing the system down? By adding more RAM and some fans, you are only doing it some good. With an SSD it will also feel much much faster.

Reactions: knight sharma
Solution

knight sharma

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015

Are you planning on running Windows 10? In which case I would highly suggest getting a 2x4GB as Windows 10 itself can take up to 3GB by itself. Add a couple of Chrome tabs and you're already over 4GB of use.

What do you mean by slowing the system down? By adding more RAM and some fans, you are only doing it some good. With an SSD it will also feel much much faster.

A 120GB SSD for Operating system will he cool.
2 1333Mhz 4GB DDR3 Ram = 8GB
Operating System will be windows 7 home basic.
Seems good right. ✌🏻

One more thing connecting a fan through usb port will slow the system or not.
Ine more

Yes, that sounds great. Although I think 6GB of RAM should be fine for Windows 7.

Adding a fan through a USB will not slow the system down. Although it's recommended to connect it directly in the motherboard or to the PSU if using molex. If you're running out of connectors on the motherboard, you can get a splitter on Amazon for a few dollars. Alternatively, you can opt for a molex-powered fan as they connect directly to the PSU. Moreover you can stack molex fans on top of each other meaning that several fans will use only 1 molex power cable from the PSU.

You didn't mention the model of the Zebronics PSU so check if the Molex connector is present.

knight sharma

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Yes, that sounds great. Although I think 6GB of RAM should be fine for Windows 7.

Adding a fan through a USB will not slow the system down. Although it's recommended to connect it directly in the motherboard or to the PSU if using molex. If you're running out of connectors on the motherboard, you can get a splitter on Amazon for a few dollars. Alternatively, you can opt for a molex-powered fan as they connect directly to the PSU. Moreover you can stack molex fans on top of each other meaning that several fans will use only 1 molex power cable from the PSU.

You didn't mention the model of the Zebronics PSU so check if the Molex connector is present.

My Zebronics PSU has 2 SATA and 2 Molex connector which connects 2 DVD Drive and 2 HDD. I can free out 1 cd drive connected via Molex.