Upgrading my P4 SIngle core to a Pentium 4 Dual Core

Obscenus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hi, Im having a hell of a time figuring out if I can swap out my Pentium 4 Single core CPU for a new E2200/E5300 Pentium 4 Dual Core. My PC is a Compaq Presario Chipset for the Motherboard is a

ATI-Rc415-HM
Socket LGA 775

I have a few links to share aswell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_chipsets
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864922&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3339274&lang=en

I been researching non stop for the last 24 hours.
Spoke to the Tech guy at Compaq, he said You can upgrade to a E2200 or an E5300 Max
the Person I spoke to at Fry's told me as long ans the Bus speed is the same and the Socket is the same it should also work. Though I have been trolling non stop through these forums now for a day I see more negative than positive opinions. What I cant understand is how this Motherboard WILL support a Dual Core Pentium D 900 series but will not support an Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core E2200?? Ive checked and ckecked and ckecked and everything looks the same. The Wiki link even says that it will support the Pentium 4's and the Core 2's.

And the Link to the HP tech specs above thats posted says it will run a Pentium D 900 series. those ran at 3.0Ghzx2 from what I have heard, so whats the difference?? The E2200 runs at the same bus speed,800Mhz same socket just slightly slower than the Pentium D dual cores at 2.20 Ghz. All this is very confusing and frustrating.Any help would be great, and please keep in mind Im not looking to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo nothing like a quad core or anything over 2.2/2.5 Mhz dual core. Just looking to use the E2200 Pentium 4 Dual core if its possible.

The one im looking to buy is in the Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core section at The Tigerdirect Link(Not aplug or anything Just trying to get as much info to you all as I can)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs

Please help if you can, Thank you.

mi1ez

Splendid
Pentium D is a netburst architecture CPU like the P4, and probably the best upgrade you can do. not got time to look atm, sorry.

PentD was a dual P4 and runs fewer instructions per clock cycle than the newer Intels, hence although the E2200 and 5300 (core architecture) are clocked lower, they will hammer a higher clocked Netburst architecture.

the pentiumD was essentially a pentium 4 dual core, the e2200 and 5300 are called pentium dual core, but are essentially core 2 duo chips.

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I had the same problem with the ASUS P5WD2-Premium. It said that it supported dual core, but upon looking through the list of processors actually supported, the conroe E series was not one of them. They stopped at D and no BIOS upgrade or anything could fix this because the architecture was limited. This may be your case and your best bet is to bite the bullet and get a board to support all the latest Core 2 duo and beyond or be satisfied with Pentium D.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
If you have LGA775 then go Core 2 Quad dude. But you'll have to flash the BIOS to get it to work. You won't see any difference at all in performance since the procs are so old. You may be able to run a little smoother but if you were to drop in a Core Quad or even a Core 2 Duo the difference would be astronomical.