[SOLVED] Upgrading my PC - how does this sound?

Snak3yz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2020
So after a lot of research and forum advice I think I've decided on my upgrade build, just wanted to make a final check to make sure all these components are compatible. The new things are in bold. Any improvements or other choices are appreciated :) The PC will be used mostly for gaming but also some video editing and games designing.

CPU: Upgrading from i7 6700 to Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: GTX 2070S

Mobo: Upgrading from MSI 150 to B450 Tomahawk Max

Cooler: Cougar Aqua 280 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Meshify C

RAM: Buying Corsair 3200Mhz 16GB (x2) I already have 2 2133MHz sticks

Power: XFX TS Series Gold 650W Power Supply (so old its been discontinued lol)

Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini

Mouse: Glorious Model O

Solution
Can you get a X570 board for the possibility of a future upgrade to Ryzen 4000 series?. You can wait and get a B550 board too which will be a cheaper. I forgot that the B450 will support the Ryzen 4000 series with a BIOS update but I have no idea which company will do that BIOS update and when.

Don't use the old RAM. You don't want your 3200MHz RAM to run at 2133MHz and mixing RAM together is not recommended. You could buy a 2x16GB 3600MHz CAS16 RAM KIT like these below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/w3FKHx,jxH8TW,zcH8TW/

The CPU AIO will have to be installed at the front. 240mm max at the top.

Your PSU has a 5 years warranty. If you had it for that long I would think about replacing it.
Can you get a X570 board for the possibility of a future upgrade to Ryzen 4000 series?. You can wait and get a B550 board too which will be a cheaper. I forgot that the B450 will support the Ryzen 4000 series with a BIOS update but I have no idea which company will do that BIOS update and when.

Don't use the old RAM. You don't want your 3200MHz RAM to run at 2133MHz and mixing RAM together is not recommended. You could buy a 2x16GB 3600MHz CAS16 RAM KIT like these below.

Your PSU has a 5 years warranty. If you had it for that long I would think about replacing it.

Last edited:
Solution
I totally forgot the B450 will be able to support the new CPU's with a BIOS update. Have no idea if this will be possible on all the B450.
That’s the thing, until the vendors release BIOS updates we can’t say which will support 4000 series. However boards like the Tomahawk Max seem to have been made with BIOS’s designed with the size to support the extra CPU’s of another generation.

Snak3yz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2020

Could do, yeah. A bit more expensive though but worth it? Cheapest is Gigabyte UD X570 or the ASROCK X570. As for RAM, the website I'm buying from only does 2x8GB 3200MHz sticks so I'll probs just get that. Plus, those stcisk are an extra 150$, is it worth it for a couple more gigs of RAM? Guess I will have to buy a new PSU too then :(

Last edited: