Upgrading my PC. How much power do I need?

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Hey folks, so I have my foundation set but I'm slowly upgrading. My current set up is

I5 4690k w/ stock cooler
Evga gtx760 SC
Gigabyte z98 gaming edition
Skill trident X 2x 4gb 2400hz RAM
1tb WD had
650w enermax psu I had laying around

I got another 760 for Xmas and my psu does not have any extra PCIe so its time to upgrade. I'm just wanting to ballpark a safe amount of power to handle all my future components.
Here's what I'm adding in the future.
The additional 760 I got
Another 8gb of ram
Corsair water cooler
Overclock my CPU
Add a 1tb SSD

NEWEGG has an Evga 750W gold full modular for 69.99 that I like but I'm worried 750 won't handle everything I want to add in the future.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
what you're looking for is strong 12v amps for the system 2 x 760 = 340 watts + ~200 more for the rest of the system and that's ~540 w/12v = 45 amps.

you will want about 58-60 12v amps to be comfortable running your system. looking around at prices and this is a very solid psu that will more than cover your needs at a good price with the rebate

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 20:08 EST-0500

it has 4 x 6+2 pcie power connectors to run sli no problems.
750w should be sufficient:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have become a bit jaded on the subject of haswell cooling for overclocking.
How high you can OC is firstly determined by your luck in the bin lottery.
I had high expectations from the Devil's canyon parts and their better thermals.
I found out that the thermals really do not matter unless, perhaps, you are a competitive overclocker.
Haswell runs quite cool, that is, until you raise the voltage past 1.25v or so.
Once you go past 1.3v, then you really do need very good cooling to keep stress loads under say 85c.
But, the consensus is that voltages higher than 1.30 are not a good thing for 24/7 usage.
I have been unable to find any official Intel recommendation on what is a safe vcore limit.
If you are an enthusiast, you can go higher.
Even if you can handle the heat, how much do you really need that extra multiplier from say 4.4 to 4.6?
My thought is that it is better to use the exotic cooling funds for a quieter and less expensive air cooler.
I suggest a good tower air cooler like noctua or phanteks with 140mm fans.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what you're looking for is strong 12v amps for the system 2 x 760 = 340 watts + ~200 more for the rest of the system and that's ~540 w/12v = 45 amps.

you will want about 58-60 12v amps to be comfortable running your system. looking around at prices and this is a very solid psu that will more than cover your needs at a good price with the rebate

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 20:08 EST-0500

it has 4 x 6+2 pcie power connectors to run sli no problems.

Solution

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Thank you both. Math geek that was the exact one I was looming at, I was just between the 750 and 850. Thank you all again for the detailed answers. As for the overclocking I don't plan on pushing it past 4.4. I don't think ill need it. Thanks again guys

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. glad i could help. prices change so quickly, you never know which psu will be the best one for your cash each day. knowing the good ones out there, it is a little easier to scan prices and find the best bang for the buck each day.

enjoy your new cards :)

TRENDING THREADS