Question Upgrading my PC maybe the CPU is bottlenecked?

Mar 27, 2022
I am a novice when it comes to computer hardware so bear with me. Here are the specs to my PC for context: https://www.shi.com/product/30409561/Lenovo-H50-55-90BG-MT

I added another identical stick of ram that came with this PC and I also put in a 1050 Ti (04G-P4-6253-KR) nothing else was added or changed.

Also, I am using a GNV34DBE2 monitor.

I am looking to upgrade my PC as it has been struggling to keep up with new games and I don't know where to start. I think that it's maybe the CPU that's lacking but instead of jumping right into getting a new one I was wondering if I could get some help on how I should go about this as I am not sure if there are things I should be aware of such as compatibility with the other components of the computer. I am shooting in the dark here with what I should do about improving my PC in terms of gaming, for reference I play games that have been demanding lately such as R6 siege and COD. If I could get some advice on this I would appreciate it greatly!

8 year old CPU.

It's quite modest. Dual core; 4 threads. Clock speed 3.1.

Passmark score about 3200.

A mid level machine from the current generation has scores at least quadruple of that...13000 to 15000 and up.

I don't know how much you can upgrade on your existing motherboard.

Your video card is comparatively better...from a newer generation.

Normal advice on upgrading old gear is to keep your expectations down and always consider a full upgrade.....motherboard, CPU, the whole works......rather than one piece at a time.

You are about maxed out on your current setup. Even a cpu upgrade that would fit on your motherboard would result in only a 5% gain max if that. It would not help using a stronger gpu as it would just bottleneck with your cpu. You are maxed out on your memory. It is time to start saving up for a new pc honestly. What kind of games did you want to/are you playing?

Mar 27, 2022
You are about maxed out on your current setup. Even a cpu upgrade that would fit on your motherboard would result in only a 5% gain max if that. It would not help using a stronger gpu as it would just bottleneck with your cpu. You are maxed out on your memory. It is time to start saving up for a new pc honestly. What kind of games did you want to/are you playing?
At the moment I can get by playing WoT with minimum graphics settings and the newest update to R6 siege made it unplayable as it constantly stutters now. To expand on getting a new pc, do you have a recommendation of how I should do this? For starters, I think that the GPU I have is good but for the other components, I am not sure what I should change. Could I just get by with getting a new motherboard and cpu or are there implications that I don't know about such as I would need a new psu or ram or case?

I am a novice when it comes to computer hardware so bear with me. Here are the specs to my PC for context: https://www.shi.com/product/30409561/Lenovo-H50-55-90BG-MT

I added another identical stick of ram that came with this PC and I also put in a 1050 Ti (04G-P4-6253-KR) nothing else was added or changed.

Also, I am using a GNV34DBE2 monitor.

I am looking to upgrade my PC as it has been struggling to keep up with new games and I don't know where to start. I think that it's maybe the CPU that's lacking but instead of jumping right into getting a new one I was wondering if I could get some help on how I should go about this as I am not sure if there are things I should be aware of such as compatibility with the other components of the computer. I am shooting in the dark here with what I should do about improving my PC in terms of gaming, for reference I play games that have been demanding lately such as R6 siege and COD. If I could get some advice on this I would appreciate it greatly!
There's nothing practical you can upgrade CPU to. AMD FM processors are out of production 5+ years and that being a brand name Lenovo system it's big question any other processor of that kind would even work.

Reactions: KyaraM
don't know if your case and/or PSU is proprietary, or, for that matter, adequate to accept new...essentially everything...

THG has build guides in various budget ranges, if you are ordering parts and can build it yourself .

If wanting a pre-built:

Look for a deals on an complete 11600 (last generation, but still plenty fast enough) or 12400 -based system with no GPU provided (since you stated you thought you existing GPU was adequate) You need at least 16 B of RAM, and, I'd refuse to buy a system without at least a 500 GB SSD these days(preferably NVME), unless you don't mind adding one/replacing one yourself.