[SOLVED] Upgrading my PC - need advice on my selected components

tobidreng

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
Hey community, after about 6 years it is time for me to upgrade my computer parts, as my otherwise solid MSI Z87 G45 motherboard died after about 6 years. Me and my friend have done everything in trying to find out if the motherboard isn't at fault, which it is, unfortunately.

My budget is 1000 euros

Anyways, here are the components I have put together:
• ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 (24% off) = 105 euros
• Intel Core i7-8700 Processor = 335 euros
• HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz 16GB = 108 euros
• MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GAMING X = 345 euros
Should I get a more expensive motherboard, as it is quit cheap? However, it has gotten good reviews

I'd also like to hear if you think I should buy a new power supply, as the one I have (850 Watts) is also around 6 years old.

*Edit: Also, will the mobo fit my Samsung SSD, which requires a sata 3.0 cable? Im almost 100% sure it will, but I figure I'd ask just to be safe :)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Definitely use the newer unit, all PSUs have a shelf life - how long have you had it? If it's 6 years and it's the TX gold unit, it'll still be good, but will want to be replaced probably after a year or so.

I won't at this point speculate as to why it didn't work previously, because there would be a million questions. It sooner sounds like something simply may not have been connected properly.

The parts you have up top are all good, as I said, I would just consider what i stated in my first post :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd also like to hear if you think I should buy a new power supply, as the one I have (850 Watts) is also around 6 years old.
What exact make and model PSU is it? Also 850W is WAYYYY more than you will ever need. Your system will run easily on a 550W.

Do you have an SSD?
Is your RAM going to be 1x16 or 2x8? Opt for the 2x8GB.
Also, have you considered the Ryzen 7 3700(X) - it could be the same price for generally improved performance.

tobidreng

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
What exact make and model PSU is it? Also 850W is WAYYYY more than you will ever need. Your system will run easily on a 550W.

Do you have an SSD?
Is your RAM going to be 1x16 or 2x8? Opt for the 2x8GB.
Also, have you considered the Ryzen 7 3700(X) - it could be the same price for generally improved performance.

Hey Tailor, apologies for first getting back to you know, but thanks for your response!

Actually, for some reason, I managed to power up my old computer today! It's weird, because I remember coming home late in the evening 2 weeks ago and suddenly it wouldn't boot. Then I changed my 850W TX corsair power supply with an even older one, the corsair 650 watt TX corsair power supply, and then it suddenly would boot. About a week later, I cleaned my entire computer and the motherboard, which however resulted in that the pc wouldn't boot at all (maybe due to some static electricy, but idk). Skip about a week forward (today), I try booting it without a gpu, one ram stick, no HDD, Samsung 250GB SSD or lights, and it worked. So my question is: Should I use the newer 850W power supply or the older one? The problem with the 650W one is that it makes a loud buzzing noise when I'm in a "heavy" game, which is pretty annoying. Anyways, I think the motherboard was the issue, but now it works for some reason.

An upgrade is in order i'd say, however, my rig can still run the games I play fairly well (DayZ, Rome 2 etc.).
But perhaps it's now a matter of time before my motherboard "dies" again - at least I'm almost certain that my mobo was the problem.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Definitely use the newer unit, all PSUs have a shelf life - how long have you had it? If it's 6 years and it's the TX gold unit, it'll still be good, but will want to be replaced probably after a year or so.

I won't at this point speculate as to why it didn't work previously, because there would be a million questions. It sooner sounds like something simply may not have been connected properly.

The parts you have up top are all good, as I said, I would just consider what i stated in my first post :)

Solution

tobidreng

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013

I think i've had the old 650W power supply for 8 years or more perhaps lol. So yeah, I'm gonna use the newer one.

Thanks for your responses :)