Upgrading my pc, what should i focus on first?

xornami

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hello,

I guess i need a upgrade, the build runs fine on alot of games,
but i want to get above 30 fps in the newer games that is being released later this year.

I want The Witcher 3 when it releases, so i want something that can run it above 30 fps on max settings or atleast close to max settings.

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHZ

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280X Sapphire Dual-X 3GB OC Edition

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Ram: 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz

I thought about getting a GTX 970, anyway i guess my GPU is fine for now though.
But i think the FX8320 is the one i need to replace, but i'm not sure.

What should i focus on first, and what are you suggesting me to get?

Right now my budget is $600 but hopefully a little cheaper :)

Solution
Wait until the game comes out and see how your system runs it before deciding to purchase new components. I can't imagine a 280X and FX-8320 won't be able to manage an enjoyable experience. If it isn't up to your standards, then you can look at CPU/GPU utilization during the game to determine what needs to be replaced, if anything.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Your specs are alright, and with a more powerful gpu in there you could easily be running high end games. Those components will do fine with a good graphics card in there, and you can later upgrade them if you would like even more performance inside and outside of games. The fx 8320 is fine for games, and as long as you are using a mid spec cpu which the fx 8320 is, it really shouldn't bottleneck performance much. Getting a GTX 970 should be the first upgrade.

Wait until the game comes out and see how your system runs it before deciding to purchase new components. I can't imagine a 280X and FX-8320 won't be able to manage an enjoyable experience. If it isn't up to your standards, then you can look at CPU/GPU utilization during the game to determine what needs to be replaced, if anything.

Solution