Upgrading my PC with an SSD

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So here's my situation (and I am by no means an expert in any of this): I currently have my PC set up with two 500GB HDD's running RAID 0 and I want to add a 120GB Samsung SSD where I will have windows installed. Most of my games/programs will still be located on the HDD's.

At this point I have already installed windows on the SSD so I'm currently able to boot my pc into both instances of windows (the old one on my HDD and the new on the SSD)

1. What do I need to do to get my HDD's to work from the new install of windows?
    2. Will I have to backup my data to an external harddrive or can it be done internally? (What would be easier for a novice)

Bear in mind it's hard for me to even ask questions since I don't know where to start. I am able minded so I think I'll be able to figure out whatever solution. The only knowledge I have is from 4 years ago when i built this PC, where I also ran into a LOT of problems.

Thanks so much in advance!

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm assuming what you mean is that you want to have only 1 Windows installation (the one on the SSD), with your RAID HDDs working for app & data storage (i.e. getting rid of the old Windows files on there).

If that's the case, then there are 2 methods to do this:

1. The easiest is to back up all irreplaceable files (savegames, photos, music, documents, downloaded installers/ISOs, etc.) onto a separate drive, then wipe the RAID drives & start over fresh. As you would suspect, however, you need to save the files somehow. This could mean an external drive (more expensive), a flash drive (dependent upon the size of the files & the capacity of your flash drives), or burning the files onto blank CDs/DVDs (more time-consuming, but also provide a hardcopy backup in case something happens).

2. The more time-consuming method is going to be removing the Windows files from your RAID drives, then reinstalling all of the apps, & most likely also telling Windows to look for your documents/Photos/Music/etc. on the RAID drives instead of the SSD.

The main reason you have to do this is so that the Windows installation on the SSD knows where the apps are located, & so that all of the files that have to be in the Windows subdirectories are where they should be.

I would strongly suggest going with #1. If you have the option, I would use blank DVDs for your photos, music & other files that aren't going to be edited or changed, & flash drives for your installation files & any files that could potentially be edited (Word files, Excel spreadsheets, etc.).

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

One Windows installation is exactly what I meant. I have a 500GB external HDD so I can backup my files there.

Now once I've done this what do I do? boot into my SSD and chose to wipe the drives from there? sorry if this is general knowledge :??:

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Allright so my new Win installment will automatically handle the two HDD's as a single RAID 0 storage disk where I can install programs? (I don't know if I'm even using these terms correctly)

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Alright I may have messed something up along the way since my computer says: "Missing operating system" when I open it up.. I guess I'll have to find a copy of windows then. Luckily I just backed up my files!

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

I got into it, but none of the boot options gave me a different result, all just said missing os.

Fenkosmo

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
UPDATE: I tried MBR fix but since I couldnt get into windows this was not an option.

Today I rummaged through the BIOS and realized that my boot settings was not raid so ofc my comp couldnt read my HDD's. Set it back to RAID and now it works. Thanks alot for he help :)