Upgrading my PC without knowledge

Matssaa

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Hello!

I currently got a CM 690 III case, i5 4690K , GTX 770 and 8 gb ram.

I want to upgrade my pc and the GTX 1070 catched my eye.
With my current build, what do i have to upgrade to not bottleneck anything and enjoy the GTX 1070 in normal state?

Solution
Wow I'd like to think those of us on Tom's are a little more understanding and kinder then what was said above in the first reply. While there is some truth in what the person said, there are no stupid questions. I can understand why someone might rather ask then search for an answer. Asking is more personal and the answer may feel more trusted then a google search even if in honesty both are roughly the same.

For example saying "I also googled 'Will a 4690K bottleneck a 1070? solved' The answer is a clear and resounding No." Actually it is not that clear cut, just like an internet search wouldn't be. In most games it is true a GTX 1070 will not be bottlenecked with a i5 4690K. That is not all games though. In a newer trend games like...

Look at the top of this page do you see that Search Tom's Hardware? You can search past questions. "Will a 4690k bottleneck a 1070?" or without the quotes. Many ways to shave that cat. I should know. I also have a 4690K and was wondering the same things a few months ago. I also Googled "Will a 4690k bottleneck a 1070? Solved" http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Will+a+4690k+bottleneck+a+1070%3F+solved
The answer is a clear and resounding No.

You need to have a 500W or better QUALITY PSU in your case. The Seasonic 520W PSU will work.

Matssaa

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

Thank you ! I currently got a 700 watt Cooler Master power supply so i guess that will be good?
My motherboard is a ASUS B85M-G, will that all be alright?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Wow I'd like to think those of us on Tom's are a little more understanding and kinder then what was said above in the first reply. While there is some truth in what the person said, there are no stupid questions. I can understand why someone might rather ask then search for an answer. Asking is more personal and the answer may feel more trusted then a google search even if in honesty both are roughly the same.

For example saying "I also googled 'Will a 4690K bottleneck a 1070? solved' The answer is a clear and resounding No." Actually it is not that clear cut, just like an internet search wouldn't be. In most games it is true a GTX 1070 will not be bottlenecked with a i5 4690K. That is not all games though. In a newer trend games like BF1, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands i5s are in fact bottlenecking cards like the GTX 1070 because these games can take every thread you throw their way. And no those aren't the only ones, just the ones I choose to list as recent. Now if I were giving advice to a family member on their own build. I would say, "Go ahead with the GTX 1070 for now It is a good match for the most part but keep in mind you'll want a new CPU in the nearish future. Games are becoming much more well threaded then they were in the past."

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

What's the model on the Cool Master supply. Many of their PSUs are poor quality.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I wanted to let the OP know that there is a quicker way to the information. I didn't simply say Google it stupid nor was that my intention. I had the same question and that was exactly what I did. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you in a manner of speaking. I didn't tell them not to ask any more questions, only use the search function. I also answered it and let them know about the PSU issue which goes outside of their initial question. I wasn't trying to be cold, rude or distant.

Wow I's like to think those of us on Tom's are a little more understanding and kinder then what was said above in the first reply
why I did not make a comment on it....

Thank you ! I currently got a 700 watt Cooler Master power supply so i guess that will be good? My motherboard is a ASUS B85M-G, will that all be alright?

The Cooler Master 700 PSU is a decent PSu, what make and model ? Do you have the 6pin cabled to connect that 1070 will need to be powered, if not then upgrade your PSU to a newer model.

The ASUS B85M-G is a good base board, but I letting you know right now, you will not be able to overclock that CPU on that board, something to think in the future. a Z87 or Z97 would have more bus pathways as well but if that is what you have, it will do the job just as well.. but no overclocking it.

I would run HWINFO and look at CPU temperature as well as GPU temperatures once you get you 1070, leave it run in the background and play your favorite game for 30 mins and see after closing game the maximum temps on the CPU and GPU anything over 85'c should concern you, anything over 90'c is a serious issue.

Matssaa

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

Thank you for the great and kind answer ! It's the B700 but i really don't know it is ver 1 or 2.. Bought it pre-made 2,5 years ago and the site only says 700 watt Cooler Master..

Yes, that'll be plenty. I do apologize to you if I did in fact offend you. I rarely if ever do that(suggest using the search of Google) but it was what I did so this one occasion I offered the same solution I applied. You can slap me upside my head with a wet noodle until it disintegrates if that'll help.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I appreciate the note as I am sure the OP does as well. I wasn't trying to rail on you either but did want to point out for the most part we have a very supportive community here on Tom's. One I rather love. I read a lot of tech sites and none of their forums see as many of my posts as Tom's does for the reasons I mentioned. Point being i want to keep it the supportive site it has been for all these years.

Matssaa

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

It's alright ! I appreciate all the help so thank you !

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Depending where you look that is considered a tier 5/ 6 PSU or unrated. Something I would not want running in my PC at all. I encourage the OP to look in to a new PSU as soon as they can afford it. Something in tier 1 or tier 2.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

shown as untiered in Tom's and some reddit posts have it in tier 5/6 as mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS