Upgrading my PC

Clarus Ruina

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I've been using my PC for ages now and now I'm thinking of upgrading it to acommodate the hardware needed for current games (I play mostly MMO). I hope you can help check my build for anything wrong especially the power requirement and any bottleneck or just any better parts with more or less the same price. Just bear in mind to keep the maximum price only 15USD higher than the current price for hardware list below. I have a conversion rate of x4.4 here.

Build:
CORSAIR Carbide 100R CASE *
CORSAIR VS550/VS650 - not sure, the PC is currently not with me
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-GAMING 3 MOBO *
INTEL i3 6100 CPU *
CORSAIR 8GB DDR4 RAM *
Palit GTX 750Ti StormX Dual GPU

* - parts that are changed

Old PC:
Old Random Case With No Brand
CORSAIR VS550/650
ASRock G31M-GS R2.0
INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650
Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Palit GTX750Ti StormX Dual

Solution
I would go with current tech.
G4620 is similar power, but cheaper , includes hyperthreading
Any 200 series motherboard
2 x 4gb ddr4 2400 speed ram
GTX750ti is fine.

Jlavigne

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hey there!
So basically, you're only keeping the power supply and the graphic card.

Of course getting new components will make your new build a bit faster (compared to DDR2 memory and older CPU). I personally have the Intel i3 6100 and it runs smoothly, although a few $$ more and you could get an i5... which I should have done, but my build still runs great.

The graphic card is a PCI-E 3rd gen, so it will run great with the new mobo. The CPU is also a new generation. So maybe along the way you'll need to change your PSU, but if you're like me, you'll wait until it dies before changing it. :)

Looks like a good build. :)
Cheers!!
J

Clarus Ruina

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

I just checked your suggestion and the CPU is cheaper but the mobo is 50% more expensive which is really a bit of an issue. I know it's new and all but is it really worth it? The PC that I am currently upgrading is only a placeholder which will be use while I am in college which is for 4 years which I'll then probably abandoned and get on with the latest tech when I've got the budget to build a high end machine.

Clarus Ruina

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Yup, at first I was thinking of going for the i5-6500 but decided againts it because of budget constraint. I'm working on a x4.4 conversion rate here so even an increase of 50$ is a huge deal.

A H100 will work, but the potential problem is that if it is not new stock, it may not have the bios update to run 7th gen processors.
That would require borrowing a 6th gen processor to do the bios update.
Possibly, the motherboard will say "supports 7th gen" or such, in which case, you will be ok.

Clarus Ruina

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

After a bit of search, I did found two mobo that can fit into my budget thanks to the G4620 being a little bit cheaper. The two mobos are:
GIGABYTE GA-B250M-D3H
MSI B250M BAZOOKA

Clarus Ruina

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Okay. Thanks for all the suggestions and help you've given me.