Upgrading my PC

MemphisRaine

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hello Guys,

I need advise as I'm planning of upgrading my CPU. At this point I have a very low budget and can only accommodate 1 major upgrade. My current CPU is below in Italicized form and my option will be on standard form.

Current CPU
Procie: i5 6600 Skylake (non-K)
MoBo: Asus H170 pro gaming
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 970 xtreme gaming
SSD: 120gb samsung 850 Evo
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 750w fully modular

Possible upgrade path below:

Option #1
Upgrade CPU to 8700k
Upgrade MoBo to Gigabyte z370 Gaming 5
or any future gen that will be newer than the coffee lake

Option #2
Upgrade to RTX 2080ti or RTX 2080

I can only accommodate 1 as I have a limited budget but is willing to spend. My main concern is the longevity(future compatibility/capability of the upgrade path that will be taken) which will not bottleneck any of the components.

Any recommendation and feedback will be truly appreciated.

Solution
Your PC is still pretty good as is. If you still are only using 8gb of ram as you tag displays that would be my first upgrade.

I would likely be in the same spot as you trying to decide between cpu and gpu. And might wait to see the benchmarks. Also assuming you have a pretty high quality monitor that will do the gpu justice. If not, then obviously go cpu.
Sep 6, 2018
the 2080/2080 ti doesn't seem to be a viable option to upgrade right now. It only uses a graphical processing unit chip that is only one step better then it's predecessor, yet it is still set at an unacceptably high price. I say that you should upgrade your graphics card with a 1080 ti, or wait until the 2080/2080ti eventually rests at a reasonable and affordable price.

Never mind, you have an H board.

I would say option one would be best for now.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Your PC is still pretty good as is. If you still are only using 8gb of ram as you tag displays that would be my first upgrade.

I would likely be in the same spot as you trying to decide between cpu and gpu. And might wait to see the benchmarks. Also assuming you have a pretty high quality monitor that will do the gpu justice. If not, then obviously go cpu.

Solution

MemphisRaine

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the response. I was wondering would quad channel work on my board? I have a 4 slot ram on the board and currently only 2 are populated. Is it okay if i just grab another dual 8gb ram from the store and put it in? This is also a cheaper alternative rather than buying a dual 16gb kit.

Still would be dual channel.

But yes you can add another 8gb dual channel kit.

Just make sure it's the same speed as you currently have.

MemphisRaine

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
sorry to have this revived. I've recently just upgraded 2 of my components which was 8gb ram to a 16gb ram and a 500gb samsung 860 evo. I'm eyeing to get a ACER 27 XB271HU PREDATOR XB1 prolly april. you guys think its a good idea?

TRENDING THREADS