[SOLVED] Upgrading My PC

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
Hey guys!
I could use a little help when it comes to upgrading my pc. I will list my current specs then ask my questions.
CURRENT SPECS:
CASE-Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower
CPU-Intel Core i5 4590
RAM-16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
MOTHERBOARD- MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850)
GPU- RTX 2060
MAIN USE- Gaming and Streaming.
SIDE NOTE- I am still learning how to build PC's. I have installed the GPU myself and aftermarket fans but have done nothing with CPU by myself yet.

So my issue is all about timing. I want to upgrade my CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and Case. CPU to me seems like the most important piece to upgrade out of those 4 and I am pretty much locked in on an i7 8700k.
With that being said Black Friday and Cyber Monday is a month and half away. If i was to buy the CPU now and install it but wait for BF/CM sales to buy the other 3, am I making myself do too much work now to just reinstall everything in a month and half?
Will I even see a significant jump in performance if I only bought the CPU now? Or does the motherboard and RAM make a difference based on my current build.
If I will see a decent jump and the work isnt crazy, I think having a better build now is worth the potential sale I would miss out on in a month and a half, if the i7 8700k even goes on sale at all.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! :)

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

You won't be able to install an 8700K on a Z97 motherboard. They are not compatible.
For the 8700K you would NEED a new Motherboard AND new RAM to go with it.

Whether you will see a big boost in performance will depend on:
  • Your monitor refresh and resolution
  • What games you play and what settings you play them at
  • What component is currently limiting you in those games.

However a CPU route would likely be the way to go, depending on the above, as if you are running 1080p, the 2060 would be more than sufficient really.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

You won't be able to install an 8700K on a Z97 motherboard. They are not compatible.

However a CPU route would likely be the way to go, depending on the above, as if you are running 1080p, the 2060 would be more than sufficient really.

Solution

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019

Ooh jeez. Im super happy I came on here and asked! Thank you very much for the info. Guess ill be waiting for the sales then! Thank you again.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
MAIN USE- Gaming and Streaming.

Cores and threads will be your goal here. I'd say minimum 8core/8thread and ideally 6c/12t or 8/16.

I am pretty much locked in on an i7 8700k.

How have you arrived at the 8700K? It's a good CPU, but it's a bit older and hasn't really dropped in price enough to warrant buying it over something like a 9700K or especially some of the Ryzen offerings.

With that being said Black Friday and Cyber Monday is a month and half away. If i was to buy the CPU now and install it but wait for BF/CM sales to buy the other 3

The CPU is not compatible with your existing MB/RAM, so this route isn't really an option.
Similarly, anything 'modern' doesn't tend to go on sale for BF/CM. You might get a deal on some RAM, but it's probably not the RAM you'd choose - it's whatever isn't moving so great at the retailers.

Will I even see a significant jump in performance if I only bought the CPU now?
In game... maybe, depends on the title/resolution/settings etc.
Streaming - almost certainly.

I would suggest considering a Ryzen5 3600. But, around BF/CM you may well find the older 2600 (or Ryzen7 2700/2700X) being discounted even further and they'd be great options.

To give you some examples:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $394.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 11:00 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $317.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 11:01 EDT-0400

Ooh jeez. Im super happy I came on here and asked! Thank you very much for the info. Guess ill be waiting for the sales then! Thank you again.

you can always go for an AMD ryzen equivilent which would be cheaper altogether but intel has recently been making price cuts on its CPU's too so you may be able to find a good deal on an i7 9700K build

but i noticed you did not list what kind of power supply you have in your specs. the PSU is the most inportent part of a build cause if you get a bad PSU and it fails it can take more parts out with it

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
Cores and threads will be your goal here. I'd say minimum 8core/8thread and ideally 6c/12t or 8/16.

How have you arrived at the 8700K? It's a good CPU, but it's a bit older and hasn't really dropped in price enough to warrant buying it over something like a 9700K or especially some of the Ryzen offerings.

The CPU is not compatible with your existing MB/RAM, so this route isn't really an option.
Similarly, anything 'modern' doesn't tend to go on sale for BF/CM. You might get a deal on some RAM, but it's probably not the RAM you'd choose - it's whatever isn't moving so great at the retailers.

In game... maybe, depends on the title/resolution/settings etc.
Streaming - almost certainly.

I would suggest considering a Ryzen5 3600. But, around BF/CM you may well find the older 2600 (or Ryzen7 2700/2700X) being discounted even further and they'd be great options.

To give you some examples:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $394.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 11:00 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $317.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 11:01 EDT-0400
Came to the 8700k based on some research I did about most compatible CPU with the 2060 as well as the best streaming CPU. . It was between 8700k and the AMD 2700x and just picked 8700k based on familiarity. If you believe this to be a bad choice in CPU please let me know.
And thank you for providing example builds. Gives me more to look at.

KingOfSnub

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
you can always go for an AMD ryzen equivilent which would be cheaper altogether but intel has recently been making price cuts on its CPU's too so you may be able to find a good deal on an i7 9700K build

but i noticed you did not list what kind of power supply you have in your specs. the PSU is the most inportent part of a build cause if you get a bad PSU and it fails it can take more parts out with it
Thank you for reminding me. This is the PSU I have currently. Should i upgrade it? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EON40CS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Came to the 8700k based on some research I did about most compatible CPU with the 2060 as well as the best streaming CPU. . It was between 8700k and the AMD 2700x and just picked 8700k based on familiarity. If you believe this to be a bad choice in CPU please let me know.

When the 8700K came out, it was king (performance-wise). Nowadays, it's slumped a little. Still a very good CPU, but the price doesn't make it a great value. If I were you, I'd look to Ryzen.
The 3000 series will perform a little better in games vs the 2000 chips, but you can get soem really, really good deals on the 2700/2700X at this point - and they might get a little better around BF/CM (although I wouldn't bet on it).

Thank you for reminding me. This is the PSU I have currently. Should i upgrade it? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EON40CS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a great unit. It's not a fire hazard or anything, but if you're investing in a new platform, I'd recommend picking up a quality PSU to power it all.

Reactions: captaincharisma

the issue you may run into is that it is an older CPU now and it may be overpriced now since it was the last i7 that came with hyperthreading. starting with 9th gen intel dropped hyperthreading from the i7 and now it is only offered with the i9 but the i7 9700K does have more cores then the 8700K