[SOLVED] Upgrading my pc.

userhasdied

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello,

At the moment I'm running an I5 4460, 16 GB ram (4 * 4), and a GTX 960 2gb.
I use this pc for gaming but struggle to run games smoothly that are more GPU oriented like PUBG, GTA V, Watchdogs, and others.
I know that I have a bottleneck with my graphics card at the moment as it only has 2gb of memory, I thought about upgrading this to an rx480/580/590.
If I were to do this I would probably have a bottleneck due to my CPU, the ideal would be to transfer over to Ryzen or a newer generation of intel. But my budget won't allow that as I would need to buy a motherboard, ram, and a new processor.
My two options are; getting an i7 from that generation or wait until I have more money to upgrade my entire system (motherboard, ram, and CPU).

Upgrading my CPU:
i7 4770 - £65
i7 4790 - £80
i7 4770k - £90

Upgrading my GPU:
RX 480, 580 or 590 - roughly £95 to £170

Total - about £160 to £260 - would it be worth this upgrade?

If I were to wait and upgrade my entire pc, would it be worth the wait / extra money?

Solution
Opinions on this will vary. Here's mine. You are going to need a new build in the not-too-distant future. Actually, you need one now. If you want instant improvement now, put whatever money you have toward the best GPU you can afford and deal with the CPU limitation until you can build a new system. Games that are GPU bound will play great and you can adjust settings for specific games that are CPU bound. You'll probably be much happier moving a higher end GPU into a new build later on than splitting your budget now for an i7 / GPU and moving the lower end GPU into your future build. Consider the power supply as to its age and quality. It has to be able to support a new GPU. If your PSU is good then no worries. You could always wait and...
Opinions on this will vary. Here's mine. You are going to need a new build in the not-too-distant future. Actually, you need one now. If you want instant improvement now, put whatever money you have toward the best GPU you can afford and deal with the CPU limitation until you can build a new system. Games that are GPU bound will play great and you can adjust settings for specific games that are CPU bound. You'll probably be much happier moving a higher end GPU into a new build later on than splitting your budget now for an i7 / GPU and moving the lower end GPU into your future build. Consider the power supply as to its age and quality. It has to be able to support a new GPU. If your PSU is good then no worries. You could always wait and not upgrade anything now and save for a total new system. IMO spending money to upgrade your CPU is not a great option unless you need to stall on a new system for a year or longer.

Last edited:
Solution

userhasdied

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
Hi,

I never thought of it that way but I think its probably my best option to go for a second hand 1070 or something of that sort? Then later on upgrade CPU, MOBO, and RAM.
And also, I have a seasonic M12II 520 watt bronze. I was told seasonic make high-quality power supplies.

Thanks.

Hi,

I never thought of it that way but I think its probably my best option to go for a second hand 1070 or something of that sort? Then later on upgrade CPU, MOBO, and RAM.
And also, I have a seasonic M12II 520 watt bronze. I was told seasonic make high-quality power supplies.

Thanks.
You need to be cautious when seeking a used GPU. Many being sold were used in mining systems and are just plain worn out. Your Seasonic PSU is an older model that was good in its day but there are many better options now. If it's still in good working order you should be ok to continue using it but plan on a new one for sure when you build a new system.