[SOLVED] Upgrading my pre-built

Jan 1, 2021
Hello, I would like to upgrade my current pre built pc, into a new case, and I thought I might as well put in a few upgrades while I'm at it.
I only recently switched over to pc gaming and got this pc 2nd hand, which means that I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes top building pc's.
Therefore, I would like to get some advise as to what I should pay attention to and what my options are generally.
Also, is it even worth it to try upgrading on basis of the CPU and GPU I currently have?

My current PC is a HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT, it has a intel i7 3770 core, ASUS Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU and 4x4 GB DDR3 RAM that I would like to transplant into the new case.
I'll be getting a new case because it currently looks like a school/office computer and I hate it. But I couldn't find anything about the specs for the motherboard, like size/format etc. which makes it hard to look for a fitting case, which is why I think about getting a new motherboard and cooler that fit my current CPU. I think I might have to throw in a new PSU as well, because my current one is only 320watt

My budget right now is around 500 euros, but as it isn't anything urgent, I can delay upgrading to gather some more funds as well.

Solution
Do not live with a case that you hate.
Likely your motherboard is a standard size.
Count the number of expansion slots on the rear i/o panel.
If it is 7 then you have ATX size.
If it is 4, then you have MATX.

Then look at the psu dimensions.
If the rear opening is 150mm x 85mm then it is a standard atx size which will fit in an atx case.
Unfortunately, your motherboard does not take a standard 24 pin main power lead. So the psu may be an issue.
Your i7-3770 processor is still a good one, but I do not think it worthwhile to buy a compatible standard motherboard for it.

I think I would sell the whole pc excepting the graphics card for whatever you can get for it and build anew.
Your i7-7700 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of...
How about you move on from that old i7,which is still a beast dont get me wrong,and move on to something newer and better.
Something like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Bfm7X
The i5 10400f is much stronger than the i7 3770 in terms of everything.
Pairing that i5 is a good motherboard that has a way 'newer' stuff like m.2 ssd capability,PCIe 3.0 gpu slot,better vrm's (atlhough that doesnt matter as much since this is a locked cpu),and over all nicer design,and im pretty sure it will be compatible with the new Rocket Lake cpu's which will be launching this year.
I went with a classic 2x8gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram sticks,perfectly compatible with the motherboard and the cpu.
I went with Phanteks P300A mesh since the case is good ariflow and looks wise,and a 600W psu for future upgrades.

Jan 1, 2021
How about you move on from that old i7,which is still a beast dont get me wrong,and move on to something newer and better.
Something like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Bfm7X
The i5 10400f is much stronger than the i7 3770 in terms of everything.
Pairing that i5 is a good motherboard that has a way 'newer' stuff like m.2 ssd capability,PCIe 3.0 gpu slot,better vrm's (atlhough that doesnt matter as much since this is a locked cpu),and over all nicer design,and im pretty sure it will be compatible with the new Rocket Lake cpu's which will be launching this year.
I went with a classic 2x8gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram sticks,perfectly compatible with the motherboard and the cpu.
I went with Phanteks P300A mesh since the case is good ariflow and looks wise,and a 600W psu for future upgrades.

Thanks for the quick response! I've looked into it and it does seem like a massive improvement, with lots of space for future upgrades.
You left a new cooler out, so I can only assume that I should be using my old one? Or does the motherboard come with a stock cooler?
And the new/extra RAM is because DDR3 is incompatible with DDR4 boards right?

Thanks for the quick response! I've looked into it and it does seem like a massive improvement, with lots of space for future upgrades.
You left a new cooler out, so I can only assume that I should be using my old one? Or does the motherboard come with a stock cooler?
And the new/extra RAM is because DDR3 is incompatible with DDR4 boards right?
The 10400f comes with a stock cooler,so no worries there.It can get loud but if you have the money now,we can discuss on a possible aftermarket cooler.
Motherboards dont come with stock coolers,processors do,well some processors.
And yes 10400F,LGA 1200 socket requires DDR4 ram,and you cant use DDR3 ram when the motherboard requires DDR4.

Do not live with a case that you hate.
Likely your motherboard is a standard size.
Count the number of expansion slots on the rear i/o panel.
If it is 7 then you have ATX size.
If it is 4, then you have MATX.

Then look at the psu dimensions.
If the rear opening is 150mm x 85mm then it is a standard atx size which will fit in an atx case.
Unfortunately, your motherboard does not take a standard 24 pin main power lead. So the psu may be an issue.
Your i7-3770 processor is still a good one, but I do not think it worthwhile to buy a compatible standard motherboard for it.

I think I would sell the whole pc excepting the graphics card for whatever you can get for it and build anew.
Your i7-7700 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 8638. That is when all 8 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is decent at 2483; that is what most games depend on.
An equivalent 10th gen intel i3-10100 will have 8 threads and a rating of 8949/2648.
In the US, $250 buys you a i3-10100 , a lga 1200 motherboard and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit.
The i5-10400f mentioned above will have 12 threads and a rating of 12582/2588. Essentially similar but with more threads.
It is hard for games to effectively utilize more than 4-6 threads.
Here is a gaming review of the i3-10100:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
Both processors come with a standard intel cooler.
Since you will not be overclocking, the cooling needs are minimal.

You will need a new psu. Consider this as a long term investment.
Buy a quality psu in the 650w range with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
It will serve you for many upgrades.

Solution