Upgrading my processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

No. Again, any thing better than what you already had is going to require a new motherboard and probably new RAM.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You would also need a new motherboard and new RAM. There's no upgrade path for this processor unless you're replacing the motherboard. And realistically, the RAM; a Haswell or Ivy Bridge CPU would be an upgrade on an A10-78xx (assuming you have a GPU), but it's best to not build around old DDR3 RAM when it's nearly 2019.

And if you're getting a new motherboard, no good reason to get an A10-9700. If you want an APU, you ought to be looking at a Ryzen 2200G or 2400G, which are far superior.

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
What should I do then? Can you recommend a solution on a good build you just gave me. See the issue I'm trying to fix either my process or or a new motherboard because the processor is not hot and I took it to a computer guy. It processsor or motherboard that went bad.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What's your budget for a new build? What parts could you bring over to a new build? If your processor is actually bad -- the motherboard is far more likely than the processor -- there's no fixing it.

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $315.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-16 05:08 EST-0500

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There's no build I can advise you to build in 2019 that involves re-using DDR3 RAM. It's penny-wise, pound-foolish.

With the $300 part list I gave you can re-use your GPU. You had said your budget was $400.

At this point, your goals are rather unclear; surely your plan isn't "spend $400, but not on a modern build but something slower from 2014." I'll check back on this thread at some point to see if you have a better idea of what it is you are trying to do exactly.

bignastyid

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from graywolfthegreat : "Matching parts together"

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from graywolfthegreat : "Motherboard went out"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from graywolfthegreat : "Motherboard went out"

I have a m32bf and I need help. What is compatible with a m32bf because my cpu went out. I want to upgrade the. MB

Status
Not open for further replies.