[SOLVED] Upgrading my rig (newbie)

Mar 4, 2021
Hey all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

So I just got into pc’s a couple of years ago. I have been a console gamer for decades, so a lot of this is still Greek to me, but I’m learning. I thought maybe y’all could give me a hand with this. So here’s my question:

I bought my current computer (Dell G5) just before Christmas this year.
I have a 360 w PSU
I’m running an i5-10400F @ 3.98 GHz and a GTX 1660 Super.
Everything is running fine but I was wondering if my current setup could be upgraded without changing out my PSU. If so, what would you upgrade first?

Thanks everyone.

Solution
Hey all,

So I just got into pc’s a couple of years ago. I have been a console gamer for decades, so a lot of this is still Greek to me, but I’m learning. I thought maybe y’all could give me a hand with this. So here’s my question:

I have a 360 w PSU
Everything is running fine but I was wondering if my current setup could be upgraded without changing out my PSU. If so, what would you upgrade first?

Thanks everyone.

Why are you looking to upgrade a new system, what is running poorly? Are you just looking to spend money on something? With the prices of...
Mar 4, 2021
I9-10900k is possible
64gb ram possible but not need in that qty for gaming
If you upgrade the PSU you can upgrade the GPU if you can find one.

D you have a more specific model number or date code so I can verify this info?

Unfortunately I don’t have a model number but I can forward you the info I have from the seller. I’ve upgraded from the 8gb RAM that it came with to 32 GB DDR4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVQWXN...abc_FKBWY9JDC14QE831G7DJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Hey all,

I have a 360 w PSU

Thanks everyone.

Why are you looking to upgrade a new system, what is running poorly? Are you just looking to spend money on something? With the prices of video cards I would not touch anything.
If "everything is running fine" don't bother with the system till something is not running fine, then you can look into what should be changed.
About the only thing I would do is add a second 8 GB RAM stick if it only has one so system runs in dual channel and you get 16 GB of RAM which may help in some games.

Solution
What do you use this pc for?
Gaming or batch production?
In what way is it not doing the job?
If you are a gamer, a graphics card upgrade is usually the most productive.
But, three things argue against such an upgrade today.
a) Graphics cards are all but unavailable today due to miners demand, and the prices are jacked up by scalpers.
b) A 360w psu is not going to be able to power any stronger card at all.
c) Your gaming may be limited by the processor anyway.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
If you need a cpu upgrade, plan on one with a better single thread capability.
That is likely one of the K suffix processors.

If you have some budget that you are itching to spend, here are some thoughts:

Sata ssd devices are getting cheaper; you could replace the 1tb HDD with a 1/2tb sata ssd.
Samsung evo is a quality unit.
Repurpose the HDD as an external usb connected backup.
You DO have external backup, I hope?

What is the make/model of your current monitor?
Perhaps a larger/wider/higher res/performing unit would be a good upgrade.
A side monitor is most useful for desktop work and to keep such as email or performance monitors open.
Repurpose your current monitor for that.