Question Upgrading my Rig's CPU, Motherboard, & RAM while keeping everything else

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I really like the Strix boards, I would get the ASUS Strix Z690-F. I think you'll benefit from the psychological security of having DDR5, though it might make sense to wait until you've secured the RAM kit.
Yeah, I think I will be going that direction. Luckily, this isn't an urgent need, so I have the flexability to wait. It's all upgrades, so I can wait until parts are in hand, even if it takes me into 2022. Psychological security is big to me... haha.

Thank you for all your help.

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I'm finding out that there is not currently a bracket adapter or a new block for my LGA 1700 yet from my water-cooling system manufacturer (XSPC). Another reason I guess to wait for DDR5, since I can't get my 12700 installed until either XSPC issues an adapter or entirely new cpu water block. Otherwise, I'd have to completely change liquid cooling systems but I already have my case fabbed up specifically for my system, so really hoping for a new block to be released relatively soon.

EDIT: I don't know why I said adapter, ignore that. I'm getting an entirely new board, adapter is useless. I need an entirely new cpu water block. Unless some sort of retro fit kit is released, which I'm not sure if I'd trust entirely.

Last edited:

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Actually, I'm looking at close ups of the ASUS Strix Z690-F board... it looks like it has 75x75 AND 78x78 mounting holes. Interesting....

EDIT: IT IS! WHOHOO! LGA1200 coolers compatible. I'll just need to look into pressure on the plate since I heard the CPU sits lower or something.

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
My local MicroCenter store got a shipment of DDR5 HyperX Fury Beast RAM. 32GB Kits, 4800mhz, for $299

Let's see if I beat the rush, heading there once it opens at 9am.

I like how Micro Center will only sell certain items, like this, In-Store only. Not online. I love that.

Reactions: Why_Me

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS