Question Upgrading my Samsung series 7 gamer laptop

MadMX

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone!
My laptop has a I7 2670QM. Im currently looking to upgrade to a I7 3630QM which was a top tier model but id like to know if can go even better, like I7 3840QM or maybe I7 3940XM however the later has a TDP of 55 watt which is 10 more then others and from what i have read is not worth the hassle due to heat and possible compatibility issues.
I disassembled the laptop to clean it recently and noticed that both the cpu and gpu are removable so they aren't soldered on like alot of people say. I will probably post another tread but i would also like to know what gpu i could go up to, it currently has a 2GB radeon HD 6900M.

MadMX

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
Which model exactly do you have? There's a lot of sub models and I can't find a match to your cpu. Samsung has awful documentation on these things, too.
Sadly i cannot ge
Which model exactly do you have? There's a lot of sub models and I can't find a match to your cpu. Samsung has awful documentation on these things, too.
Its a 700G7A sadly i dont have any more info as the laptop is in my car which was in an accident a few days ago so cannot get to it atm however i do have a few pictures from when i disassembled it to clean and repaste it that o will try to upload.

Starcruiser

Honorable
Its a 700G7A
Well I can't even find that model in the Samsung website. Closest I see is 700G7C and they have the i7 3000 series.

What that means is we're on our own here. That model doesn't exist according to Samsung so we can't hope for any support.

If you are able to remove the cpu then you should Theoretically be able to upgrade it as long as long as the socket is the same and the power supply can handle a higher tdp if you go that route. I would avoid getting a higher tdp chip though because of temperature issues.

Reactions: MadMX

MadMX

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
Well I can't even find that model in the Samsung website. Closest I see is 700G7C and they have the i7 3000 series.

What that means is we're on our own here. That model doesn't exist according to Samsung so we can't hope for any support.

If you are able to remove the cpu then you should Theoretically be able to upgrade it as long as long as the socket is the same and the power supply can handle a higher tdp if you go that route. I would avoid getting a higher tdp chip though because of temperature issues.
Ok then i will go with a I7 3840QM then. I looked around the net and im fairly sure its a NP700G7A series 7 gamer. Thank you for your reply, would still like to know what sort of better Gpu i could upgrade to and if its ok to just put a ssd in it. I read somewere that it has 8gb partison on the hdd for the bios or something which i thot was usually on the motherboard...

Starcruiser

Honorable
That 8 GB partition sounds like the recovery partition, in case your windows partition gets damaged you can reinstall from there. You can copy that to a new drive if you want, but it's not essential.

I'll do a bit of digging to find a gpu that will fit. The pictures help with that. It would be even better if you could go into device manager, find the gpu properties, under details post what it says for hardware ID.

Reactions: MadMX

MadMX

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
That 8 GB partition sounds like the recovery partition, in case your windows partition gets damaged you can reinstall from there. You can copy that to a new drive if you want, but it's not essential.

I'll do a bit of digging to find a gpu that will fit. The pictures help with that. It would be even better if you could go into device manager, find the gpu properties, under details post what it says for hardware ID.
Oh ok then, ssd should work then so thats out of the way. The pictured that i posted were taken when i was cleaning the laptop and i won't have access to it for atleast a few weeks, so im unable to take anymore. As for gpu, i think a 8970m 4g would be a safe bet tho that purely guess work..

TRENDING THREADS