Upgrading my Setup

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018
So im in a bit of a predicament. My pc is about 5 years old, i essentially wanna upgrade everything besides the graphics card im not gonna be able to buy every part at once. More like 1 or 2 parts a week. But I also am in need a of new monitor and desk. What should I upgrade first? This build is being used for mainly gaming and productivity also the theme that im going for is white and blue im really in need of some help.

Solution

I agree, there are some components that HAVE to be bought together, like CPU,motherboard, and ram. Cases and coolers, if you indeed need an aftermarket cooler. Other components can be bought individually on an as funds are available basis, such as Monitors, keyboards, mice, gaming...
I would save up the money and buy everything at once. It'll be more fulfilling to have one big upgrade rather than to piecemeal it together over time. Upgrading a new part or two every week will be more time consuming. If you are just buying the parts and waiting to assemble. It is safer to buy them all at once. That way if you end up with a dud you don't risk elapsing your return period.

Jul 1, 2018
What do you have now? What would you like to up grade to?
Is it a build or prebuilt, I'm guessing it is a build because you're buying parts but I have seen builds for less than I could build so I went with the prebuilt. I just did a build and spent about a year waiting for Coffee Lake to come out. Mother boards are much better with builds.

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

I built this pc myself it has a i5 3570k, a gtx 1070 ti (dont need to upgrade) an asus z77 sabertooth motherboard, A cooler master v8 (Discontinued) and 16gb of ddr3 ram. Im looking to get an i7 7700k. The corsair h100iv2 16gb of ddr4 and then a new motherboard but im not sure which one i should pair with the i7

Prioritize your needs.

I might consider the new monitor and desk first.

PC components keep getting better price/performance over time.

Some components are timeless and could be bought early if you see a good sale.
That might include a PSU.
Buy the case and cooler together, you need to know the case specs to properly fit a cooler.
Early, on sale is ok since they do not change much.
Buy the cpu/motherboard and ram together; they need to be compatible.

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

Yes it will definitely be more fulfilling

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

I am really considering buying the monitor and the desk because my monitor is only 60hz and it has screen burn and my desk is currently too small

60hz is not bad at all.
Some games have a 60fps cap.

What is your graphics card?
What is your current cpu?
What types of games do you play?
You need a strong graphics card and the cpu to drive it to consistently get high fps rates.

If I have any advice for a monitor, buy the best you can.
Upgrade the size and/or resolution.
A good monitor will stay with you for a long time.

Have you considered a wall mount for your monitor/s?
That is a good solution to increase desk space.

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

My graphics card is a 1070ti but my cpu is only an i5 3570k i play alot of realistic fps games and some rpg my monitor is not compatible with a wall mount atm which is another reason im looking for another monitor but like I said this monitor has screen burn so if I stay on a certain page too long the image becomes burned into the screen and can be really frustrating when trying to play a game or watch a video

I agree, there are some components that HAVE to be bought together, like CPU,motherboard, and ram. Cases and coolers, if you indeed need an aftermarket cooler. Other components can be bought individually on an as funds are available basis, such as Monitors, keyboards, mice, gaming controllers, anything considered a 'peripheral',
I would probably recommend getting the PSU when I got the case, but that is a personal preference.
As your graphics card and CPU are still relatively strong, I would definitely look at getting the monitor and desk first.

Solution

zallim

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
Your current build is fine, so you do not need to make an upgrade, especially that you're planned cpu is i7-7700K and Intel will release new processors in the coming months. My point is that buying an I7-7700K is not a cheap option, and you might be wasting on yourself the opportunity to buy the latest generation of processors because who knows what you can afford at that time. As suggested above your priority should be only the monitor and the desk. You can even look for 1440p monitors if you want.

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

id like to disagree my cpu is terrible my gpu is bottlenecked heavily by it and im not even getting my moneys worth

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

I play games like the Witcher 3 and some realistic fps games my gpu is more then capable of running these games at ultra but when I check my cpu and gpu usage my cpu is at 100% and the gpu is at around 85% so basically my CPU is stopping my gpu from being used to the full potential even on highest settings

Have you overclocked your CPU? Also how much RAM do you have?

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

chasedaignault

Prominent
Jul 19, 2018

16gb of ram and I haven’t tried overclocking cuz I’m a little scared and not really familiar with oc

zallim

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
My advice is to avoid looking at the statistics of your components usage. Forget the numbers. The real deal here is how you feel while gaming. Are you satisfied or not? Is the game smooth enough or not? These are the main concerns. Close any monitoring tools and just feel the game and see whether the game runs smoothly and if that you are happy with it.

Personally, I do not encourage over-clocking under any circumstances. By the way, the CPU usage is also related to background tasks, so try to close any unnecessary programs running in the background. In addition, make sure that you are using Nvidia Adaptive Sync which can be enabled from Nvidia Control Panel.

Just to be on the safe side, what's is your current power supply and how much watt does it have?