[SOLVED] Upgrading my setup

Jul 20, 2021
Hello,
I'm currently running an FX 8350 on an Asus M5A78L-M LE USB/3, and it's time for an upgrade (I fear the CPU is already abandoning me, it used to run at 4.65 GHz stable and now the most it'll do is 4.5, also it's quite old). I've already got a parts list ready, which doesn't include a few components like PSU or GPU since I'll be transferring them over from the old system to the new system. My question is, should I wait for 2021 black friday (Nov 20) to get my parts, hoping for a price drop in CPU (if 12th gen Intel releases, 5th gen Ryzen prices will drop), and RAM (DDR5 will hopefully have driven DDR4 prices down a bit by then?). This is my current build: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbL6Hz (don't mind the prices, they've increased a little bit, but my plan is to get each part as it reaches a lower price since websites selling these parts at a lower price only sometimes are in stock). Should I wait for Intel 12th gen, DDR5 and Black Friday hoping for a good deal on RAM and CPU or is it just not worth it? Also, do you have any feedback on these parts? I currently have a Corsair VS550 and a 1050Ti (I know that pairing it with a 5800X is gonna bottleneck, but I don't do anything that relies too much on the GPU so it should be fine until summer 2022 when hopefully GPU prices will have gone down).
Thank you!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
I overclocked my CPU because it's really old and I'm just looking to squeeze as much performance as I can from it until I upgrade. I just had one question, if it was worth it to wait for Intel 12th gen's release for Ryzen 5th gen's prices to drop.

Well the 2 things might happen at the same time or at different times. In these hard times for not only the world but for PC parts, prices might not come down for a long time as some want to buy up stock as soon as it becomes available and resell them for double, triple, or more the price just to make a buck. Then you have the miners who buy out whole stock to make money for crypto.

Personally for me, If I had the money I would buy now and not wait because down the line I probably...

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
I think you
Hello,
I'm currently running an FX 8350 on an Asus M5A78L-M LE USB/3, and it's time for an upgrade (I fear the CPU is already abandoning me, it used to run at 4.65 GHz stable and now the most it'll do is 4.5, also it's quite old). I've already got a parts list ready, which doesn't include a few components like PSU or GPU since I'll be transferring them over from the old system to the new system. My question is, should I wait for 2021 black friday (Nov 20) to get my parts, hoping for a price drop in CPU (if 12th gen Intel releases, 5th gen Ryzen prices will drop), and RAM (DDR5 will hopefully have driven DDR4 prices down a bit by then?). This is my current build: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbL6Hz (don't mind the prices, they've increased a little bit, but my plan is to get each part as it reaches a lower price since websites selling these parts at a lower price only sometimes are in stock). Should I wait for Intel 12th gen, DDR5 and Black Friday hoping for a good deal on RAM and CPU or is it just not worth it? Also, do you have any feedback on these parts? I currently have a Corsair VS550 and a 1050Ti (I know that pairing it with a 5800X is gonna bottleneck, but I don't do anything that relies too much on the GPU so it should be fine until summer 2022 when hopefully GPU prices will have gone down).
Thank you!

I think you are spending way too much on just those parts alone. For that price you should be able to get the whole core system w/o GPU. I wouldn't wait until Black Friday if you are having issues now. I modified your list that I think works much better and will cost you $130 less. Hopefully it works out for you.

Updated Parts List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (€267.00 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€69.98 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€157.65 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€175.39 @ Amazon Italia)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €735.02

Jul 20, 2021
I think you

I think you are spending way too much on just those parts alone. For that price you should be able to get the whole core system w/o GPU. I wouldn't wait until Black Friday if you are having issues now. I modified your list that I think works much better and will cost you $130 less. Hopefully it works out for you.

Updated Parts List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (€267.00 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€69.98 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€157.65 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€175.39 @ Amazon Italia)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €735.02
What I was asking was if it's worth to wait for the 5800X's price to go down, and if it'll go down with Intel 12th gen. I know the 5800X is overpriced right now and a 3rd gen would probably be a better value, but I made that list considering a drop in price from 12th gen (and I'd like to know if that will actually happen, if it's worth waiting, or if I need to settle on a 3rd gen option).
Also, would it be worth it to get CL18 memory instead of CL16 for 10 euros less? I saw that Ryzen really likes lower latency. The case looks really nice tho, I'll probably choose that one, thank you. As for the CPU issues, I'm fairly sure the CPU'll hold on until November, the only issues right now are that it's not able to overclock as much as it did a while ago, and even if it does suddenly die I won't be left completely without a computer, and I'll be able to get the parts right now (with some adjustments, like not getting a 5th gen Ryzen if it's overpriced).

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
If it where me I would turn off the overclock. Run it as stock until the prices do come down. Personally I never overclock my CPUs. I still believe that doing so shortens the life of the CPU. If you don't want to wait then you have other options.

Jul 20, 2021
If it where me I would turn off the overclock. Run it as stock until the prices do come down. Personally I never overclock my CPUs. I still believe that doing so shortens the life of the CPU. If you don't want to wait then you have other options.
I overclocked my CPU because it's really old and I'm just looking to squeeze as much performance as I can from it until I upgrade. I just had one question, if it was worth it to wait for Intel 12th gen's release for Ryzen 5th gen's prices to drop.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015

Well the 2 things might happen at the same time or at different times. In these hard times for not only the world but for PC parts, prices might not come down for a long time as some want to buy up stock as soon as it becomes available and resell them for double, triple, or more the price just to make a buck. Then you have the miners who buy out whole stock to make money for crypto.

Personally for me, If I had the money I would buy now and not wait because down the line I probably wouldn't have the money.

Have you considered the used market? AliExpress usually has really great prices on things if you can wait for shipping. You could get what you are after now for well below retail.

I found this but it's only about $30-$40 less.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

I know your trying to decide weather to buy now or wait for prices to fall or a new release. What happens if you wait and find out that the item is no longer in stock or prices are still too high?

Solution