[SOLVED] Upgrading my sorry excuse for a PC

May 29, 2020
Planning on purchasing a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Gaming X for my currrent set. Is it advisable?

This is my current system
Motherboard - Biostar H61MLC
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 8.00GB
GPU - Sapphire RADEON HD 5450

Appreciate the help!

Will be much better than your current card, but for that older gen system make sure you do a BIOS update since newer cards have issues running on older motherboards. If you want to make sure it will work get something like a used 750 Ti. Also make sure your power supply can handle the card.

May 29, 2020
After 2 weeks, here's what i've ended up with.

Motherboard - Biostar H61MLC
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Installed memory Kingston 99U5471-020.A00LF 99U5471-020.A00LF 8GB
GPU - XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black
SSD - Samsung EVO 860

I understand that the CPU is bottlenecking the performance?
What would you recommend. The motherboard needs to support a better CPU? Or is there a more compatible CPU for the old board to resolve the issue?

May 29, 2020
Ouch. Says it's a 500w power supply, is actually 240w on the 12v rail where it matters for the graphics card. I'd seriously think about upgrading that first before hooking up a power hungry AMD card.

Yea, and i paid 65 bucks for the bs when purchasing it during a "pc repair at a local shop" weeks back. Kinda sucks i know. Is there any PSU you will be able to recommend. Many thanks in advance

Yea, and i paid 65 bucks for the bs when purchasing it during a "pc repair at a local shop" weeks back. Kinda sucks i know. Is there any PSU you will be able to recommend. Many thanks in advance

Yeh, they'll enjoy selling those parts as they'll have cost virtually nothing to buy in due to their poor quality. I'd say you'd be good with a grey label (not orange) Corsair CX 550w unit, although the price of this one has increased somewhat with the pandemic. It's still the best budget friendly entry level power supply and should see you right.

Reactions: Noobbuilding
May 29, 2020
Thanks John, but right now i have got another headache.
Having picked up a RX580, and upgrading the PSU is a MUST i understand.
Would like to know with the current LGA1155 mobo, which CPU should i pick up to pair with the said GPU before choosing the right PSU.
Another question, what is the difference between a CV an CX 550? And also what do you mean by grey/orange label? i looked it up and failed to find any clue.

Last edited:
I'd try pick up a second hand i7 2600k or 2700k, think even though your board doesn't let you overclock, the K versions possibly have higher default speeds than the non Ks.

CV is a lower spec I believe, not well regarded. CX model either is an older version with orange label and which is bad and you shouldn't get, or a newer version with a grey label. Those are acceptable if you can pick one up.

Reactions: Noobbuilding