[SOLVED] upgrading my SSD system drive

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hi all,
I'm running Windows 10 on a ASUS PH877 motherboard main HD is a 240 gig SSD and have a secondary 2 Tb HDD with Radeon HD 7800 video card. The system is 6 years old put together by AVA direct.

I run a very modded Skyrim game which takes up a huge amount of space and have a cou-ple of other games installed on the system SSD and am running out of space. The system is working Ok other than the original HDD started dying and I switched it out for a new drive.

I'm a bit of a novice with computer tinkering but feel I can safely replace the system drive with imaging/cloning software.

Is it worth replacing the SSD on a system this old?
Tiger has a sale of Kingston Q500 drives. I have no idea what makes a SSD good or bad and could use advice on choosing an upgrade.

Thanks!

Solution
HD is a 240 gig SSD

No, HD is NOT a 240GB SSD. What you MEANT to say is "boot device" is a 240GB SSD.

Why not simply get an SSD for the secondary storage device and simply remove all the games from the boot SSD to free up room by putting them on a secondary SSD.
There are very good deals available on 1TB SSDs and should be plenty of space unless you actually NEED 2TB of storage. And actually, even then, you can simply put the games you play most often on the new SSD, and move other games to the existing HDD.

How much are you able to budget for a new storage device?
HD is a 240 gig SSD

No, HD is NOT a 240GB SSD. What you MEANT to say is "boot device" is a 240GB SSD.

Why not simply get an SSD for the secondary storage device and simply remove all the games from the boot SSD to free up room by putting them on a secondary SSD.
There are very good deals available on 1TB SSDs and should be plenty of space unless you actually NEED 2TB of storage. And actually, even then, you can simply put the games you play most often on the new SSD, and move other games to the existing HDD.

How much are you able to budget for a new storage device?

Solution

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Is there a downside to having programs/applications/games on the boot drive? When buying the system I figured games with level loads and other things needing to read the hard drive would run better installed on a n SSD

Yes, primarily, the more that is on a drive the slower it becomes, AND, if something happens to the OS to the point where it can't be accessed or has to be reinstalled, you may lose all of those game files etc., whereas if they were on a different drive, it would have no effect on them if you had to reinstall Windows or whatever OS you are running.