[SOLVED] Upgrading my system from Intel to AMD, need help.

golufija

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
So basically i'm upgrading my whole system from a old cpu i5 4590 to a new AMD ryzen 5 3600x cpu.
I know i need certain new parts for the upgrade such as RAM , Motherboard and Procesor.
I'm gonna list all the computer parts , also the ones i had and will be replaced . I just wanna know if thats all i need to replace for a new AMD system or if theres certain parts that don't work with each other or basically the whole system.
Computer parts:
- Have i5 4590 Intel > Upgrading to a AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 3rd gen.
-Have ASUS B85M-G Motherboard > Upgrading to a MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
-Have Hyperx Fury 16 GB 1600Mhz DDR3 > Upgrading to HyperX Fury 16 GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RGB
-Have GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 3GB Graphics card
-Have B700H Gigabyte 700W Power Supply Modular (80 plus Bronze)
-Have Kingston SSD 240 GB sata 3.0
-Have 1TB HDD Wd Blue Hard drive
-Have Gaming 984B Dragonslayer ATX Computer case
-Have a windows 10 Home (free) installed on the SSD
-Also have a water/liquid cooler Antec H600 Pro for my processor but which might not be compatible with the new ryzen 5 3600x so i might just use the stock AMD cooler for the mean time when i get the parts.
-Also have a CD/DVD reader installed into the case.

Thats about the system , i just wanna know if its gonna boot up after i replace those 3 parts and if everything is gonna be alright or if i need a new windows fresh install .

golufija

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
No. Build the new PC and do a clean install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
Anything less has remnants of the old hardware in the registry.
So i need to install a windows 10 tool on a flash drive . Then i replace all the parts , plug all the hard drives in and everything. I also plug in the flash drive and select in bios the first bootable device to flash drive , and i install the windows 10 from the flash drive?

kanewolf

Titan
So i need to install a windows 10 tool on a flash drive . Then i replace all the parts , plug all the hard drives in and everything. I also plug in the flash drive and select in bios the first bootable device to flash drive , and i install the windows 10 from the flash drive?
Since you have multiple physical disks, ONLY have the one drive you want to be the system disk connected when you do the clean install. After you have the OS installed, motherboard drivers installed and windows updates done, then power down and connect any data drives.

Jun 24, 2020
Why not just buy a brand new PC? Half new, half old does not quite work with PC's in my opinion... But what do I know, I've been doing this since 1998! Lol