Upgrading my system, need some advice!

mmm002

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hello,

I created a post a few weeks ago but i left it with low detail and i did not clarify. I apologize about that. I will try to provide more detail this time.

I am currently running a dell inspiron 620.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
RAM: 6 GB
64-bit operating system.

I am a big Flight Simulator X fan and I wish to play it on max settings with no lag.
I currently play on a Planar PL1910M monitor with the resolution of 1280x1024x32. This works well when it comes to realism and clearness for the game.

I have an issue with lag and the "jaggies" on all scenery. I would like to terminate all these issues. At some points, the game is running at about 4 fps when i have a lot of clouds or heavy storms.

I was planning on purchasing a GTX 650 Ti along with a corsair 600 power supply.
I was wondering, will i need a new motherboard to support these systems?
How about a new monitor? Will the graphics issues still occur with this monitor?

Any help is appreciated. Just let me know if i need to clarify or if you have any questions. Thanks!

Solution
It depends on what video card you have now, but the 650 TI should give you a noticeable improvement. Te power supply should be good for that card too so you should be fine there.

A new monitor will help as well, you can get a good 1080p monitor to improve the picture via a better native resolution.

So with a higher 'tighter' resolution and with a card that has good anti aliasing (the GPU function that relates to 'jaggies') you should get much better graphics and improved FPS.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
It depends on what video card you have now, but the 650 TI should give you a noticeable improvement. Te power supply should be good for that card too so you should be fine there.

A new monitor will help as well, you can get a good 1080p monitor to improve the picture via a better native resolution.

So with a higher 'tighter' resolution and with a card that has good anti aliasing (the GPU function that relates to 'jaggies') you should get much better graphics and improved FPS.

Solution

Amit Parmar

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Honestly the monitor and the MB do not need replacing as long as it is good. What is your MB? 650 ti is a pretty good card and will run it fine. The "jaggies" is from your vid card.

mmm002

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
My motherboard is the Dell Inc. 0GDG8Y A00. I opened up the system and noticed that there is no graphics card even in the slot. I'm not sure what the computer is using.

Thanks for the replies.

Amit Parmar

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Lol integrated graphics no wonder. So yeah it looks like PCI-E is compatible and you should be fine. Enjoy smooth FPS. 1 - 2 years after you may want to upgrade as this will struggle more with new games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130910

If you really want a good card that will stay good down the line you can pay some extra for a Radeon R9 270x.