Question Upgrading my system. Will I need a new CPU Cooler?

Apr 22, 2023
I'm upgrading my system's processor. I'm using an aftermarket cooler (fan, not water-cooled), but unfortunately, it is not compatible with the socket type of the CPU I'm upgrading to. For reference, my current CPU's socket type is LGA1151, and the new CPU's socket type is LGA1700. In situations like this, must I buy a new CPU cooler, or is there a way for me to somehow use the one I have through, perhaps some sort of mounting adapter? And if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I really don't want to drop another $70 on a cooler if I don't have to.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sorry, but I believe there's too little to go on.

I'm using an aftermarket cooler (fan, not water-cooled), but unfortunately, it is not compatible with the socket type of the CPU I'm upgrading to.
Does the company not offer to send you a mounting kit for the cooler if you contact them - have you tried?
Which LGA 1700 cpu?
What's the hardest thing it will be doing?
What's the cooler?
What's the case?
^Things like that.

Apr 22, 2023
Thank you for the response. I've provided some more details below:

I'm sorry, but I believe there's too little to go on.

Does the company not offer to send you a mounting kit for the cooler if you contact them - have you tried?
Which LGA 1700 cpu?
What's the hardest thing it will be doing?
What's the cooler?
What's the case?
^Things like that.
I have not contacted the company to request a mounting kit, so I'll try that.

The CPU I plan on purchasing is the Intel Core i7-12700F. I mostly use my desktop for moderate gaming, programming, and game development. My current cooler is the Cryorig H7, and the case is the NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
IF Cryorig doesn't mind sending you a kit, you certainly can reuse the cooler - though it won't handle hard, all core loads on default operation. You'd have to go into bios and lower the 180w Max Turbo Power for this cpu to avoid thermal throttling in that scenario.
If not, you've no choice but to invest in another cooler. Perhaps Thermalright's Peerless Assassin is an option.