Upgrading my xps 400 graphic card

G

Hi there! I have an xps 400 with the standard Dell 375 psu. I have a x600 currently. I am looking for an upgrade that is HD and can increase my framerate in wow. I have read a LOT of posts in these forums, with everyone saying what they are running, but no one says if it is running WELL with their config. I have 4gb Ram, and am getting a 24inch hd monitor. Any help would be appreciated, I am pretty new at this.
Thanks!

G

Ok so I'm assuming that the afformentioned psu will work with my xps 400 and fit. So then, any good recommendations on a card since I will have the 500 watt psu? My top budget right now is about $150-$200. Thanks again!

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Judging by your $150-200 price range (assuming you do mail-in rebates):

If you want NVidia, this card is $159.99 after mail-in rebate and instant $10 off with the provided promo code (ending on the 12th). It'll most likely max WoW out with ease.

If you want ATi, this card is $169.99 after mail-in rebate. It is noticibly more powerful generally (on par with GTX275/sometimes GTX285). If you don't play anything but WoW, I am not sure, but I would guess it's better as well. No one really puts out benchmarks for it so I can't say for sure.

Just as a side note, it took about 2 weeks for my rebate to be processed, and it is quoting another 2-4 for it to ship out to me. Regardless, they're worth it and it's not a scam. So take advantage of them. :)

G

Thanks so much! One last question, how can I tell if these cards would fit in my case?

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Measure the width of the inside of your case (from the PCI slot to the HDD cage usually, depending on the case) and then look at the length of the cards.

G

OK, just had a long chat with a Dell rep, thay are claiming that the 400 xps system is meant to run with lower wattage, so if i put a 500 psu in, it will damage the components.....any truth to this, or are they giving me the run around hoping i will purchase another computer?

ASK THE COMMUNITY