[SOLVED] Upgrading need feedback

shadowschild

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Been running with an i3-2100 coupled with an r9-380 and 16gb ram for the last 3 years. I enjoy games such as ff15, witcher 3, etc.

As old as that cpu is, it still delivers but even i know its time to upgrade.

Im looking at the 2600x and 2700x as my next leap forward while keeping my video card. Future games such as doom eternal, elder scrolls, ff7 remake etc dont have their system requirements out yet. So im wondering which of the two will last the next 3 years. The difference is small, about 40 bucks between the two.

Solution
That suggested computer build is pretty reasonably priced and decently powerful. It would have no trouble running 1080p on max, or 1440p on high. I might suggest an nVidia card in place of the AMD if you can find one at the same price point though, but it comes down to preference and what games you play.

If it's not in your budget, then the incremental upgrade you suggested to the 2700X would net you quite a large overall performance boost. (+150% easy) Gaming performance included. You video card should still be above minimum spec for a while, but that will be your next thing to upgrade if it's not in the budget right now.

Starcruiser

Honorable
That suggested computer build is pretty reasonably priced and decently powerful. It would have no trouble running 1080p on max, or 1440p on high. I might suggest an nVidia card in place of the AMD if you can find one at the same price point though, but it comes down to preference and what games you play.

If it's not in your budget, then the incremental upgrade you suggested to the 2700X would net you quite a large overall performance boost. (+150% easy) Gaming performance included. You video card should still be above minimum spec for a while, but that will be your next thing to upgrade if it's not in the budget right now.

Solution
A 2600x/2700x would be a good upgrade from a sandy bridge I3 for sure.
Both should be fine for 60hz gaming for the next 3 years, but obviously we don't yet know the events in the next 3 years.

You will need a new motherboard and some fast dual channel DDR4 ram to go with your new Ryzen CPU.