Question Upgrading Network setup

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Hey,
So I'm currently looking to upgrade my home's Cable Modem + Router setup, but I'm pretty green regarding these things.

For setup:
The modem was provided by Spectrum, Model: ES2251
I replaced the Provided Router last year with Netgear R6700 - AC1750.
I just bought the Netgear Cable Modem CM1200 + EX5000-AC1200 Extender.

I don't know much of anything when it comes to network setups if I needed both or anything like that. I got the Extender because our wireless devices were losing signal upstairs and assumed this might help.
Also, all hardwired devices are connected to the R6700-AC1750, but I'm starting to second guess if that was wrong after learning about Ap devices and the ability to turn it into AP only.

In short, I'm lost and would like recommendations.

Goal: Strongher Wifi connectivity and proper setup.
No clue if I should get a networkswitch, or about Mesh setups.

You likely made the common mistake of placing the device in the same room you were getting poor coverage.

This does not help you because now the repeater is getting the same bad signal from the main router. It then attempt to repeat it damaging the signal to the main router more because it interferes. The signal might have a stronger level but the quality of the data in the signal is still bad.

Proper placement is where it can get a strong signal from the main router and still send it to the end device. If it was a big open room it would be 1/2 between. When walls or floors are involved it gets tricky there may not be a good place if there is too much signal be absorbed.

That device does not have a ethernet port so I don't think it can be used as a AP. If you have a ethernet cable in the remote room you could use a old router as a AP.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Just so I understand, are you saying that I shouldn't have bought the Extender because the issue is poor router placement?

Im also confused on the which device cant be used as an AP. Currently, my using the NetGear R6700-AC1750 and running 2 Ethernet Cables from it to PCs (and one connecting to the cable modem). I was curious if I could run those PC ethernets to the Cable Modem instead, which would let me move the R6700 to another area for hopefully a better Wifi signal.

Unfortunately, they are both underneath a staircase due to setup by the spectrum tech. The cable is being ran underneath the apt and right under the stairs. But I can move the router, is there a rule of thumb or an app i can download to figure out proper placement?

kanewolf

Titan
Just so I understand, are you saying that I shouldn't have bought the Extender because the issue is poor router placement?

Im also confused on the which device cant be used as an AP. Currently, my using the NetGear R6700-AC1750 and running 2 Ethernet Cables from it to PCs (and one connecting to the cable modem). I was curious if I could run those PC ethernets to the Cable Modem instead, which would let me move the R6700 to another area for hopefully a better Wifi signal.

Unfortunately, they are both underneath a staircase due to setup by the spectrum tech. The cable is being ran underneath the apt and right under the stairs. But I can move the router, is there a rule of thumb or an app i can download to figure out proper placement?
@bill001g is saying that the extender should be placed closer to the main router. You need good signal to the repeater. So instead of placing it near the end device, you place it in the hall near the top of the stairs for example.

Reactions: CompuGuy71