[SOLVED] Upgrading/New Build late November, Need advice

Sep 1, 2020
Hello guys! If this is posted in the wrong category I do apologize! I'm looking to upgrade (or basically build a new computer..) late November or early December. It's been many years since I first put together my rig and its time to upgrade since its no longer really cutting it as well as in preparation for Cyberpunk 2077. However, I have no idea what parts are in and what parts are decent.

Goals: Music Production using FL Studio 20 and various sound libraries, Video editing but just for vlogging not making full films, gaming

Current rig:

Intel Core i5 3350-p

GTX 970

Asrock h77m

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3 (I believe)

Corsair GS600 600w PSU

1TB WD 7200rpm HDD

500gb WD 7200 HDD

120GB SSD

Of course, I'm hoping to be able to reuse my 970, psu and perhaps some of my storage drives but I may upgrade to full SSD's.

Ideally I'd want to stay under $600 if possible and using various rebates around the holiday times. I'm not sure if this is too early but I figured it might be better to post it now so I can expect how much to spend.

Solution
In case of budget build I'd definintely rec AMD cpu/mb over Intel, much easier on price with same efficiency. Specially motherboards for the current Intel cpus tend to ber abysmally pricy and in case of particulary hot cpu buying additional, better cooler will be same in price or still slightly cheaper than buying Intel.
Here is the basis of what I'd put together:

Samsung 970 Evo - fast m.2 disk for system to help load times and general use plus if you pick one big enough you can place ur most used app or games in it for further performance increase

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 - absolute must to switch from DDR3 to DDR4 either 4x4 or 2x8 whichever you prefer but 16 gb seems to be the minimum, same as this ram clock (3000 mhz)...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
In case of budget build I'd definintely rec AMD cpu/mb over Intel, much easier on price with same efficiency. Specially motherboards for the current Intel cpus tend to ber abysmally pricy and in case of particulary hot cpu buying additional, better cooler will be same in price or still slightly cheaper than buying Intel.

Samsung 970 Evo - fast m.2 disk for system to help load times and general use plus if you pick one big enough you can place ur most used app or games in it for further performance increase

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 - absolute must to switch from DDR3 to DDR4 either 4x4 or 2x8 whichever you prefer but 16 gb seems to be the minimum, same as this ram clock (3000 mhz)

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - this cpu should suffice but in honest opinion 8 core Ryzen 7 would be much better, question is can ur budget hold it

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX - good all around base for ur upgraded system, should you choose a better RAM or CPU this mb will still be good

Possible upgrades to above basis for reasonable price:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or better AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz 16 GB

I give you no promises about ur gpu being able to keep up with the rest of the build with current games but it's possible. 10th gen nvidia gpus (for example 1070 or 1080) are still able to hold decent performance at 4k so I guess 9th will be able to do at least decent in full hd.

Sep 1, 2020
Oh I forgot to mention, I don't necessarily care about playing games at a very high quality. Honestly, medium is fine for me. Thanks for the input! Gives me a starting point

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 - absolute must to switch from DDR3 to DDR4 either 4x4 or 2x8 whichever you prefer but 16 gb seems to be the minimum, same as this ram clock (3000 mhz)

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - this cpu should suffice but in honest opinion 8 core Ryzen 7 would be much better, question is can ur budget hold it

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX - good all around base for ur upgraded system, should you choose a better RAM or CPU this mb will still be good

Possible upgrades to above basis for reasonable price:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or better AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz 16 GB

I give you no promises about ur gpu being able to keep up with the rest of the build with current games but it's possible. 10th gen nvidia gpus (for example 1070 or 1080) are still able to hold decent performance at 4k so I guess 9th will be able to do at least decent in full hd.
I would suggest getting an 860 evo instead and getting a better cpu, 2600 feels aged now, 2700X is definitely a good option, but I think 3600XT is even better

Here's my suggestion:
860 Evo
Definitely upgrade that PSU to something like a CX TXM or RM (don't buy CXM CV and VS they're trash for future)
RAM and Mobo as he suggested, should do great
I'd say wait for Ryzen 4000 for a cpu (I'm assuming that mobo will support it, if not, look for a B550 or maybe a B450 that will) because a Ryzen 5 4600 will definitely do much better than the 2700X
Hold onto that GPU, used market will plummet in a couple months, and probably Nvidia will release a 2600 (Ampere budget) series next year. That would be a much better upgrade, unless you can buy something like a 3060. Also if you have this kinda build, I'd suggest at least a 1080p 144hz monitor, otherwise your gpu and cpu will go waste with that fps

Solution
Depends on prices in your area at time of upgrade.

At the moment in the uk the ryzen 2700x is exactly the same price as the ryzen 3600.

At that price it's a better buy and is never going to hold back a gtx 970 in any way at all.
Also gives you more choice of boards and removes the hassle of looking for ryzen 3000 ready or b550 boards.

Gtx 970 you're firmly at medium settings for gaming now, it's a gpu that's showing its age fairly badly.

That said if it suits you it suits.

Depends on prices in your area at time of upgrade.

At the moment in the uk the ryzen 2700x is exactly the same price as the ryzen 3600.

At that price it's a better buy and is never going to hold back a gtx 970 in any way at all.
Also gives you more choice of boards and removes the hassle of looking for ryzen 3000 ready or b550 boards.

Gtx 970 you're firmly at medium settings for gaming now, it's a gpu that's showing its age fairly badly.

That said if it suits you it suits.
OH lol here the 2700x is still much costlier than the 3600, that's why I suggested 3000 instead

TRENDING THREADS