[SOLVED] Upgrading old parts

Mar 13, 2020
Any help with upgrading my processor and video card to be more up to date would be much appreciated :)

���������������
Intel Z97 Core i5 Configurator
Case1 x Thermaltake Chaser A21 Gaming Case - Black
Processor1 x Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling1 x AVC K7127N Liquid CPU Cooling System (Copper plate for best cooling performance) - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card1 x AMD Radeon R9 280X - 3GB - Single Card
Motherboard1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H -- 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0, 6x SATA-III 6Gb/s
Power Supply1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 600W Standard
Primary Hard Drive1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive1 x 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Sound Card1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System1 x None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

Last edited:
Solution
You have some options, that would allow you to keep your current motherboard, but I typically recommend against sticking money into a dead platform.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($273.98 @ Newegg)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($85.00)
Total: $513.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 11:19 EDT-0400

That said, the easier option would be to buy used Xeon E3 1231v3, or better, that is...
Any help with upgrading my processor and video card to be more up to date would be much appreciated :)

���������������
Intel Z97 Core i5 Configurator
Case1 x Thermaltake Chaser A21 Gaming Case - Black
Processor1 x Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling1 x AVC K7127N Liquid CPU Cooling System (Copper plate for best cooling performance) - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card1 x AMD Radeon R9 280X - 3GB - Single Card
Motherboard1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H -- 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0, 6x SATA-III 6Gb/s
Power Supply1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 600W Standard
Primary Hard Drive1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive1 x 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Sound Card1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System1 x None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

What do you want to do with your pc after the upgrade (gaming, if yes what games?) and what is your budget?

Yes gaming, I mainly play fortnite which runs ok but just started COD warzone and it’s unplayable. Budget $300-500

Looking at COD Warzone, the CPU requirements aren't too steep so it's probably the GPU that is holding it back.

For that budget my suggestion would be to look at a good GPU upgrade, and you'll definitely want to up your ram to 16gb as 8 is a bit low for current games.

Graphics card wise, you probably want to look at maybe a 1660 Super or possibly jump up to an RTX 2060, on the AMD Side the RX 5600 XT is a good bet (slightly faster than the 2060 for a little less, the only negative against that is there have been issues with drivers on Navi as it's a very new architecture although the most recent updates have sorted most of the problems out).

It is also worth looking if you can get a second hand i7 for that machine, as there are quite a few games out there that struggle on only 4 threads (but 8 thread i7's are still fine). It doesn't look like that will be an issue for COD specifically though as it's only asking for a 2500K.

Edit: Looking at the COD specs, I think the reason it's totally unplayable will be the ram as the 280X is still a reasonable GPU.

Reactions: Mattimoose

logainofhades

Titan
You have some options, that would allow you to keep your current motherboard, but I typically recommend against sticking money into a dead platform.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($273.98 @ Newegg)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($85.00)
Total: $513.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 11:19 EDT-0400

That said, the easier option would be to buy used Xeon E3 1231v3, or better, that is compatible with your motherboard, a matching stick of ram, for dual channel, and then a better GPU. I would recommend getting a quality power supply, as well. Those "standard psu's" that prebuilds use, tend to be junk.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It would help to know your monitor's:
  • Resolution
  • Refresh rate
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • If it has FreeSync, what's the FreeSync Range.

I concur with @logainofhades suggestion - there's little to be gained by putting money into a dated platform - the bang-for-your-buck is pretty bad.

A new GPU, though, could be used in the old system, and would improve performance some. It could then be moved to the new system when you upgrade to a modern platform.

Also - I don't like that vague description of the PSU. I would like to know what brand it is and the exact model number. It might be a great PSU, it might be a terrible one. If getting new parts, I'd be more comfortable KNOWING whether it's a high-quality model, and if not, replacing it.

Mar 13, 2020
It would help to know your monitor's:
  • Resolution
  • Refresh rate
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • If it has FreeSync, what's the FreeSync Range.
I concur with @logainofhades suggestion - there's little to be gained by putting money into a dated platform - the bang-for-your-buck is pretty bad.

A new GPU, though, could be used in the old system, and would improve performance some. It could then be moved to the new system when you upgrade to a modern platform.

Also - I don't like that vague description of the PSU. I would like to know what brand it is and the exact model number. It might be a great PSU, it might be a terrible one. If getting new parts, I'd be more comfortable KNOWING whether it's a high-quality model, and if not, replacing it.
Thank you for the response

My monitor is an Asus ve247h
1920x1080 resolution , 50-76Hz refresh rate
No sync technology
My power supply is High Power model: HPG-600st-f12s Ac input:115-230V 10A Frequency:50-60Hz Max load:600W

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
At that resolution and those refresh rates, I might go with a 1650 Super instead. Maybe a 1660 Super (I wouldn't take a 1660 non-Super because the $10 or less savings is NOT worth the performance drop relative to the 1660 Super, at least in the US).

That all said, the High Power brand is a model to be avoided, among others. There are a LOT of bad power supplies out there.

Check the first link in my sig for recommendations.