[SOLVED] Upgrading old PC, noise a concern - which would you choose? (Rx580 or...)

Apr 14, 2020
Would you recommend a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8gb or an MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH OC for my system?

I appreciate your eyes on my question as my searches have left me a little confused.
I would like to add a video card to my older PC used primarily for sound design at home, but must begin video editing/illustration with it. I've narrowed my search to the two cards; Sapphire 580 reported to be quiet in use and 5500 to run cooler, ergo quieter(?) Prices are close enough, it may not matter. I appreciate any opinions as I try to extend the functional lifespan of my system.

Criteria:
  • I need low noise or ability to turn fans off
  • reliability/compatibility with older system
  • dual monitor support, HD specs
  • will not OC
  • open to other cards ~same performance & price point, prob @ B&H Photo
System:
  • i7-3770 (3rd gen, Socket 1155)
  • Asus p8z77-lk v (PCIe 3.0) flashed to latest bios
  • 16gb ddr3
  • Samsung 850 500gb OS drive, (5 other var. HDs attached)
  • 600w PS (forget brand, but bought a good one originally)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I would recommend the 5500 XT as it has slightly higher performance and it pairs perfectly with your processor. As for quietness.. I don't have these cards so I could not tell you exactly how loud they are, but I'm sure good air flow in your case will keep the fans speeds relatively low. They might get a little louder while editing video but they should be silent while working on sound design.

Justinsanity

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2015
I would recommend the 5500 XT as it has slightly higher performance and it pairs perfectly with your processor. As for quietness.. I don't have these cards so I could not tell you exactly how loud they are, but I'm sure good air flow in your case will keep the fans speeds relatively low. They might get a little louder while editing video but they should be silent while working on sound design.

Reactions: Already Late
Solution