[SOLVED] Upgrading older home built System

Apr 17, 2021
I have a system I built several years back that is running on Windows 7 I like to upgrade to window 10.

The System consist of the following:

a. Mother Board is a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA1155
b. Processor Pentium G620 @ 2.60 GHz
c. Memory Corsair CMZ8GX3MA2160 8 GIG.
d. Graphic Card GeForce GTX550Ti
e. Power supply Rosewill 650w Bronze modular HIVE
f. Western Digital 500 GB Blue
G. Case, Rosewwill Crusader mid tower

The Icore processors were available when I built the computer but the Pentium was cheap and it was my first computer build.

What I was looking at was upgrading the processor to an I5 or I7, kicking the memory up 16 GIG ans and adding SSD.

So I'm I wasting my time trying to upgrade this or should I build new.

Solution
As I stated, no problem building a new system and have no problem exceed a $300.00 build I can be comfortable spending a $1000.00 .
So, what would you recommend.
My biggest area of lack of knowledge would be mother board cpu combinations.
Something like this.
Reuse GPU from your old build. GPU prices are insane right now. Would not suggest paying scalper prices for it.
Remove parts, that you think, you can reuse from your old build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z590 PRO4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Newegg)...
Apr 17, 2021
What do you use this pc for?
Budget?
Monitor resolution?
The answer is several things. First I'm wanting to get into 3d printing so I'm to be able to run CAD software for design work. Next would be some light gaming I have been getting some video hanging. for example if I'm watching videos from Utube or movies Ive had to drop to 480p for the videos to run smoothly. this could be several things, operating system W7, Processor memory or just and old system. If I decide to get back into more gaming I, probably have to get a better/newer graphics card but with the current availability that a hold off for right now.

USAFRet

Titan
The answer is several things. First I'm wanting to get into 3d printing so I'm to be able to run CAD software for design work. Next would be some light gaming I have been getting some video hanging. for example if I'm watching videos from Utube or movies Ive had to drop to 480p for the videos to run smoothly. this could be several things, operating system W7, Processor memory or just and old system. If I decide to get back into more gaming I, probably have to get a better/newer graphics card but with the current availability that a hold off for right now.
What CAD applications?
There are some that are surprisingly light on needed resources.
And will output a .stl suitable for your printer slicing software.

I have a CraneQuad.

Reactions: Dj0gany

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My thoughts would be that IF you could find something like a 2600 or (update BIOS) and go with a 3770 it would breath more usability into the rig. The key would be CHEAP.
DDR3 has gotten a bit more expensive, but if you could upgrade to 16+ GB that wouldn't hurt.

The issue as I see it is the video card (after) doing that. GPU pricing is insane even for old obsolete items. I would think that going with something 970/1060/1660 would pair well with that and offer some decent low/mid setting 1080P gaming.

Once again though, CHEAP is going to be key. You could readily spend ~$300 for core components to an i3 10100 base build (CPU/RAM/mobo) that would run circles around this even after the i7.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Apr 17, 2021
My thoughts would be that IF you could find something like a 2600 or (update BIOS) and go with a 3770 it would breath more usability into the rig. The key would be CHEAP.
DDR3 has gotten a bit more expensive, but if you could upgrade to 16+ GB that wouldn't hurt.

The issue as I see it is the video card (after) doing that. GPU pricing is insane even for old obsolete items. I would think that going with something 970/1060/1660 would pair well with that and offer some decent low/mid setting 1080P gaming.

Once again though, CHEAP is going to be key. You could readily spend ~$300 for core components to an i3 10100 base build (CPU/RAM/mobo) that would run circles around this even after the i7.

I have no problem building a New System. My Problem is Knowledge of New Components and information overload. I spent several hours last weekend looking at new components and after spending the time looking I knew no more than when I started.

I've looked at several build at various places but they all seem to lean to the very high end.

As I stated, no problem building a new system and have no problem exceed a $300.00 build I can be comfortable spending a $1000.00 . So, what would you recommend. My biggest area of lack of knowledge would be mother board cpu combinations.

The other question is what can I reuse from my existing system. I'm thinking the Power Supply, Memory and hard drive could be reused.

Let me know what you think.

As I stated, no problem building a new system and have no problem exceed a $300.00 build I can be comfortable spending a $1000.00 .
So, what would you recommend.
My biggest area of lack of knowledge would be mother board cpu combinations.
Something like this.
Reuse GPU from your old build. GPU prices are insane right now. Would not suggest paying scalper prices for it.
Remove parts, that you think, you can reuse from your old build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z590 PRO4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.41 @ Amazon)
Total: $1009.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-17 12:44 EDT-0400

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ the above is a nice build idea. I am sure Sky already did the homework, but double check the compatibility between the 10700 and the Z590. Also, keep in mind that (so far as I am aware) the motherboard will not be able to support the Gen 4 PCI stuff with a 10th gen CPU. Double check that aspect.

On the Phanteks case (its the one I own) the mesh front is a HUGE help, however air flow inside the case can be poor without a good bit of intake and exhaust fan going. On mine I am using (2) in front on an AIO. I removed the basement HDD bracket, added another fan there, and use both top and rear locations with fans pushing air back out. Temps are super well regulated that way, but you can hear the rig at all times.

Apr 17, 2021
Tearing apart and old computer a friend was getting rid of that due to an MB failure. thought I got lucking because it had an Intel CORE I7-2600k. but a litte researh found it to be a LGA-1150 CPU. my ASROCK is a LG1155

However!

It also had 4 stick set of 32 GB memory. The Memory is Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

The Memory in my computer is Corsair 8 GB CMZ8GX3M2A16600C9

Would it be worth while to swap them out?

thought I got lucking because it had an Intel CORE I7-2600k. but a litte researh found it to be a LGA-1150 CPU. my ASROCK is a LG1155

It also had 4 stick set of 32 GB memory. The Memory is Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
Would it be worth while to swap them out?
i7-2600K is LGA1155 (not LGA1150).
Asrock Z68 Extreme3 is LGA1155.
They are compatible.

Swapping memory to 32GB also is a good idea.

Apr 17, 2021
Been working on the build list and so far it's almost straight of SkyNetRising suggested list.

The first change I'm Considering from the list is the CPU cooler. I'm looking at the deep cool 240r AIO liquid cooler. there only a few dollars difference.

Second question goes to solid state drive. With the Samsung 970 on the250 GB MB is there any reason not to go to a one TB SSD SATA for the storage drive.

Apr 17, 2021
Just though I do a update as to how the Old Home-built Computer turned out. I completed the removal of the old Pentium G620 and replaced it with Intel core i7-2600K. I felt the old stock CPU cooler would be insufficient so I had a Cooler Master dual fan cooler that I installed but one fan would not clear the memory so it is only running on one fan. Mother board and CPU are staying around 78 degrees F. Shop ambient 70 Degrees

Next was taking memory in from 16 GB to 32 GB but windows 7 would not recognize all the memory.

Upgraded from Window 7 to window 10, upgrade went without a hitch and now the computer sees all the installed memory.

Completed the last change today which was the install of a 500 GB SSD. transfer took about an hour from the old Western Digital but made a major difference, boot time went from over a minute to somewhere around 20 seconds.

Where the computer was hanging up and slow to run some program and videos had to be run at a low resolution the computer is running the way it should.

Understand that I have absolutely zero cost in to these changes. most of the parts came from dead computers. The only thing I purchase was a tube of thermopast.

So this computer still has some life in it.

So the next project is to build a new computer. everything I've built so far has been Intel based, wondering if I should try a AMD time for more research!!!!