[SOLVED] Upgrading older laptop - ISSUES :(((((

Sep 22, 2020
Hello,

I have a serious problem with an Acer laptop.

The notebook had:
board: Acer board E1-531G NV56E NBM5711001 Q5WV1 LA-7912P HM77 PGA989 GT710M 1GB

see: https://cs.empowerlaptop.com/p/acer-e1-531g-motherboard-w1711/

4 GB Kingston RAM DDR3

500 GB HDD

Intel Pentium B960 CPU

Graphics integrated from Intel

And since the board was relatively upgradeable, I decided to replace the components, I replaced them like this:

Intel Pentium B960 -> IIntel Core I7- 3610QM

Ram Kingston 4 GB DDR3 -> Ram Samsung 2x 4 GB DDR3

500 GB HDD -> SSD Patriot P210 512GB
CD romka ---> outside, I'm waiting for a frame from China on the 2nd disc, I'll put the HDD here

I reset the bios, I compiled everything, and as soon as I turn on the PC, it starts up just fine.
Windows installation - fast, no problem. But now we come to the heart of the matter ...

After turning on Windows, everything goes unusually fast and clean I can turn on the game, browser, movie, anything ...

But after about 15 - 20 minutes, NTB turns itself off, it just turns off and I have to turn it on again, it's not a sleep mode, power saving mode, etc.
It shuts down even though it has no load, maybe I just let the area run and I walk away for a while, I come back and it's over.
And it turns off in the style that it just blackens the screen and is down. As if it ran out of juice.

I've tried everything I'll list below, but the problem still persists - I can't handle it anymore.

I tried this:

1. Reinstall the drivers

CPU driver, GPU, Actually, almost everything I've thought of several times, but none of that helped.
In device manager, everything looks ok.

2. Check cooling

CPU is overcharged, heatsink is cleaned and working (as if it is audible)

3. Reset the bios again

4. Check the CPU
According to QuickCPU, temperatures are around 40 - 50 ° C

According to the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, the CPU is perfectly fine

5. Check RAM

According to Windows memory diagnostics, it's completely fine
I have 2 slots, both loaded just fine.
The only problem in the task manager is that it shows me that I have 4 slots and 2 out of 4 full.

6. Disconnect the cable and drive only on the battery

did not help

7. Disconnect the battery and go over the cable only

did not help

8. Disable Windows Quick Start in the power plan

did not help

Viruses can't be because it's a clean installation of Win on a new SSD

The CPU is not clocked, neither is Ram

The board in the original ntb with the original assembly went without a problem.

The CPU is 100% cool, it is "new" and has already been tested with another i7 and the problem persisted.

Frame

It runs on the frequency 1333 MHz
In the task manager it writes used slots 2 out of 4, although I only have 2 slots, that's a bit off

The SSD is from Alza.cz, new under warranty

So i tryed to replace back cpu Intel Pentium B960 to my laptop and its working, so the other new cpus I7s werent compatible?
Whats good compatible CPU for my laptop, what should i check before buying another new one.

Can i buy INTEL CORE I7-3630QM, will it work?

Thank you

Solution
It sounds to me like the motherboard simply does not support "Ivy Bridge" microarchitector. You may need stay with "Sandy Bridge" processors. It seems like you really want quad core? As I see it, there are 2 candidates but they both are 45 watt so ... your laptop (designed for a 35 watt processor) may run a bit hot with them. I've done this 45 watt in 35 watt design with HPs and had no problems - I thoroughly cleaned the cooling system before the install of course. I've never tried with an Acer.
Anyway ... the 2 processors are the i7-2760QM and the i7-2860QM. The best dual core you could get would be the i5-2540M ... it is a 35 watt processor and is way better than your current B960M.
Sep 22, 2020
It should work, and you already put the cpu in. Was the motherboard brand new? Did you install the heatsink with thermal paste?

Yea, the MB is working, i used thermal paste Arctic MX2. With CPU Intel Core i7- 3610QM the laptop shuts down after 30 minutes. With Intel Pentium B960 it works fine.

The cooling and temperatures of cpus in this laptop are optimal, https://ibb.co/xJ7JHGH?fbclid=IwAR0NLEtYUxHJY-tpfr4xntYwmWpd8BxVW5ZgPXH8Q8luzbwHlWoc3MgLYhk

This is screenshot when i used Intel Core i7- 3610QM

And someone told me that, its because the i7- 3610QM is yellow in this list
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Inte...529QsR74MEAwBweekCVERqI3C6pCPcEPf2XlOCmMrltpU

Is it true?

Last edited:
update the BIOS of the laptop if a new one is available

maybe the power supply or battery is not strong enough because of 10W more (not likely)

the 3630QM is 45Watt as well, might not work
try the i7-3612QM

some other CPUs running on such a system:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-E1-531G/9572

the Tjunction is much lower for the B960 than the I7, maybe there is some issue in the BIOS recognizing the CPU correctly

Last edited:
I would guess something in the power delivery for the cpu is being overloaded and shuts down when it overheats. Laptops rarely have sufficient power or cooling to upgrade the cpu. Often if the did have a version that had a higher power cpu it will have upgraded power and cooling solution.

Sep 22, 2020
I have this batery and cable (both original bought with laptop)

https://ibb.co/kq2r0Wb

I try to find some information about bios, its difficult to find,
in bios i see that its version 2.18 and there is Intel GOP Driver 3.0.12.1012

bios main page: https://ibb.co/qjYdNRC

Maybe something on MB can overheating, but the CPU is not overheated i think, in PC i see good numbers and on touch the laptop is not hot.

Sep 22, 2020
is it possible to measure it on the motherboard and find out what is overheating, or to get something that would help me with cooling, or what can I do next?

"Whats good compatible CPU for my laptop"

I just replaced the B960 CPU on a very similar acer laptop (Aspire 5749Z). I went with an i5 2520M. Early days, but all seems good. It's not quad core but noticeably quicker (it turbos to 3200) than the B960 and has the same thermals.

Sep 22, 2020
I am going to buy Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM because it has TDP 35W only, i dont know, when i leave it in bios, if it shuts down too, i can try it, my bios key is f2, try f1, f8,10 etc...

I have this batery and cable (both original bought with laptop)

https://ibb.co/kq2r0Wb

I try to find some information about bios, its difficult to find,
in bios i see that its version 2.18 and there is Intel GOP Driver 3.0.12.1012

bios main page: https://ibb.co/qjYdNRC

Maybe something on MB can overheating, but the CPU is not overheated i think, in PC i see good numbers and on touch the laptop is not hot.
The most sophisticated part of the power delivery is on the motherboard. The external power supply is a very basic item. If the motherboard was not designed to handle a higher powered cpu you are going to have problems.

Sep 22, 2020
The most sophisticated part of the power delivery is on the motherboard. The external power supply is a very basic item. If the motherboard was not designed to handle a higher powered cpu you are going to have problems.

Ok and if i use CPU with the same TDP, will it have simular power or optimal? Where on mb can i see the power specs?

(I mean ... B960 has TDP 35W and Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM has too 35 W )
Thanks

Thanks yes ... F2 got me into the bios ... took about 5 tries ... it's very touchy on the timing.

Both the B960 and the 2520M use "Sandy Bridge" microarchitecture. The 3612QM and 3610QM both use "Ivy Bridge". So ... if it's a thermal type problem the 3610 should be good ... but, if it's a non-supported microarchitecture problem ... you'll be in the same boat. Anyone's guess really as to whether it will work or not. Do let us know how you make out!

Sep 22, 2020
After replacing CPU to Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM and updating bios to lastest version,
the problem still persists :((((((( - when it is in bios menu, it stays there,
in the bios menu the laptop does not turn off, in windows it does.

So i think it can be compatibility issue? Can i do somethink for it ? Because its compatible with the chipset, maybe the bios is bad.

It sounds to me like the motherboard simply does not support "Ivy Bridge" microarchitector. You may need stay with "Sandy Bridge" processors. It seems like you really want quad core? As I see it, there are 2 candidates but they both are 45 watt so ... your laptop (designed for a 35 watt processor) may run a bit hot with them. I've done this 45 watt in 35 watt design with HPs and had no problems - I thoroughly cleaned the cooling system before the install of course. I've never tried with an Acer.
Anyway ... the 2 processors are the i7-2760QM and the i7-2860QM. The best dual core you could get would be the i5-2540M ... it is a 35 watt processor and is way better than your current B960M.

Solution
Sep 22, 2020
Yea i will buy I5, but first of all, i need to sell these I7s, because i am running out of money :D I have 3 I7s

Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM
intel core i7 3630Qm
Intel Core i7 -2630QM

it would be best if I could use I7 with maybe another acer bios (I don't know if it's possible), but eventually, when I sell at least 1 of those I7s, I'll buy I5