Upgrading on a different harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So, I currently have Windows 7 installed in a standard HDD and I bought an SSD a while ago with intentions of reinstalling windows on it. With the Windows 10 update coming in tomorrow, I was wondering if I could install the Windows 10 update on the SSD. Even if it's just installing it on the current HDD I have and then doing a clean install on an SSD. Point is, I want to know if there is any way I can have Windows 10 running on my SSD after tomorrow. Any input and information is greatly appreciated!

Solution

"Tomorrow" is completely unknown. Some people or systems might be able to upgrade tomorrow, some not for days or weeks.

3 options to get it onto your SSD:
1. Migrate your current install to the SSD. Upgrade when applicable

You can update the HDD to Windows 10 and than do an OS transfer (google it for the steps, there are tons of guides for how to transfer an OS to and SSD)
You can also do a clean install of windows 7 on the SSD and then update that to windows 10. But you can't have both at the same time.
Basically your Windows 7 license becomes a windows 10 license. You're not getting a free license, just an upgrade to your existing one.

G

You should be able to install it to the SSD.As long as you select the right drive.I belive this OS will install on top of your existing one, replacing it of course.Meaning if your original OS in on C:/ the new OS will install on the C:/ instead of D:/.C:/ being the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

"Tomorrow" is completely unknown. Some people or systems might be able to upgrade tomorrow, some not for days or weeks.

3 options to get it onto your SSD:
1. Migrate your current install to the SSD. Upgrade when applicable

2. Upgrade the current install on the HDD. Migrate to the SSD

3. Upgrade on your current HDD. Clean install on the SSD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.