[SOLVED] Upgrading opinions?

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
so in another thread i talked about some of my games chugging, and based on advice given, i decided it's time to upgrade the CPU, i have an AMD FX-8350, but since there isn't much option to upgrade on the AM3+ Socket, time to upgrade that to, so i'm at a bit of a crossroad here, should i go with the Ryzen 7 on the AM4 slot? AMD hasn't done wrong by me yet. or since i will need a new MB, new RAM and a new OS anyway, should i save up a little more and by the Intel i7, which i have heard is superior? what is everyone's thoughts?

Solution
AN AM4 R5-2600 and a decent B450 mainboard offer a pretty good value these days...

A pretty large lot of folks are opting for an i7-9700K and Z390 for perhaps an extra $100 or so,...

I'd still expect the latter to give better frame rates in any 1080P/144 Hz monitor gaming scenarios (if applicable), but, as many point out, you might be able to slap in an R5-3xxx series CPU later for a cost effective upgrade...(and with upcoming R5 or R7 CPUs currently rumored to match the 9900K in CInebench, that might translate to be an impressive gaming rig to be sure.
AN AM4 R5-2600 and a decent B450 mainboard offer a pretty good value these days...

A pretty large lot of folks are opting for an i7-9700K and Z390 for perhaps an extra $100 or so,...

I'd still expect the latter to give better frame rates in any 1080P/144 Hz monitor gaming scenarios (if applicable), but, as many point out, you might be able to slap in an R5-3xxx series CPU later for a cost effective upgrade...(and with upcoming R5 or R7 CPUs currently rumored to match the 9900K in CInebench, that might translate to be an impressive gaming rig to be sure.

Solution

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017

thanks for the opinion, i was thinking that if i was going to stick with AMD, getting the Ryzen 7 1700X, heard anything on that? again i hear many people SAY that Intel is better, but that may just be Elitists talking