Upgrading Optiplex 755 CPU and Graphics Card

PeterTheNugget

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
I am looking to upgrade my current PC so I can play newer and more demanding games.
I have a Dell Optiplex 755:
4GB of RAM
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
64bit operating system
Windows 7 Professional

I am looking to get the new Nvidia GTX 1050 because it has a small form factor and it doesn't require any power from the power supply. I know that the Graphics card wont fit into my case, but as i keep my PC in my desk cupboard so looks don't matter to me. I was also wondering if this could handle a double monitor setup.

I am also looking to upgrade my computers CPU, but I'm not sure what other CPUs are compatible with motherboard. My parents have a Dell Optiplex 780 but i don't know if the CPU from that would work in my PC.

I was also wondering what it in entails when swapping out a CPU, is it as simple as taking one out and putting the new in, or do i have to update drivers, reinstall windows or what?

Solution
PeterTheNugget,

On behalf of Tom's, welcome!

I recently upgraded a neighbor's Dell Optiplex 755 from a 2.0 GHz E4400 to a 3.16 GHz E8500, and from 4 GB memory to 8 GB. It was an easy upgrade requiring just a BIOS flash (don't recall the version), but no driver updates or Windows reinstall.

However, I also upgraded their Optiplex 755 from it's HDD to an SSD, which of course made it run like a new PC. An SSD has an amazing effect on an old PC ... it makes people say "WOW"! I would recommend an SSD upgrade before a CPU upgrade ... and an SSD upgrade can always be migrated over to a newer PC.

Just FYI, the fastest LGA 775 non-extreme Dual Core is the 3.33 GHz E8600, and the fastest LGA 775 non-extreme Quad Core is the 3.0 GHz...
The problem is that tech is old, socket 775. Even a quad core from that era would be slow. I don't think I'd advise anyone to upgrade the CPU. In newer more demanding games I don't think the performance would be worth it.

If you were to do it, first you'd want to make sure your motherboard bios is the newest one they released for it. This way it'll be compatible with as many CPUs as possible. You'll need to apply thermal compound when you swap CPUs, so make sure you have some. I usually reinstall Windows when i do something like this, it just makes troubleshooting easier. If you don't do a fresh install and things don't work, is it the CPU or Windows?

If I were you, I'd check to see what CPU your parents' 780 has, if it's faster maybe you could install your videocard in that one? Then play less demanding games, like esports games(CSGO, Rocket league, etc).

CompuTronix

Intel Master
PeterTheNugget,

On behalf of Tom's, welcome!

I recently upgraded a neighbor's Dell Optiplex 755 from a 2.0 GHz E4400 to a 3.16 GHz E8500, and from 4 GB memory to 8 GB. It was an easy upgrade requiring just a BIOS flash (don't recall the version), but no driver updates or Windows reinstall.

However, I also upgraded their Optiplex 755 from it's HDD to an SSD, which of course made it run like a new PC. An SSD has an amazing effect on an old PC ... it makes people say "WOW"! I would recommend an SSD upgrade before a CPU upgrade ... and an SSD upgrade can always be migrated over to a newer PC.

Just FYI, the fastest LGA 775 non-extreme Dual Core is the 3.33 GHz E8600, and the fastest LGA 775 non-extreme Quad Core is the 3.0 GHz Q9650.

CT :sol:

Solution