Question upgrading? or new build?

onthemour

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
first off I am not sure where to post this. It has been awhile since I been gaming 7 plus years. My comp is only good for games back then. What should I do first? I have a sandy bridge i7 2600k overclocked (of course it was a big thing back then as it is a monster overclocker) 8gigs ram gtx 780 sli running at 1440p. Sounds old lol. Do I need a new mother board, cpu and gpu?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
For your case we are talking about a new build.

Only your HDD or SDD can be used, all other components including case and PSU should also be replaced.

I think you should share your budget and ask for suggestions.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
first off I am not sure where to post this. It has been awhile since I been gaming 7 plus years. My comp is only good for games back then. What should I do first? I have a sandy bridge i7 2600k overclocked (of course it was a big thing back then as it is a monster overclocker) 8gigs ram gtx 780 sli running at 1440p. Sounds old lol. Do I need a new mother board, cpu and gpu?
Depends on the game.
Only you can answer your question If you don't get the performance you want then new build.

Things have changed. Have you read up on the tech that's out latey?

You're actually coming into a pretty good time to build a new pc depending on your budget.

Since Intel and AMD had a poor year they are under pressure to move product with pricing cuts. They've already started for AMD's cpu's that were just released as well as the previous socket. AMD is going to release their AM5 x3d cpu's on the 28th and if they perform with the same uplift as the 5800x3d then other cpu prices may see addtional cuts from AMD and Intel.

If a tight budget then the Intel LGA 1700 or AMd AM4 socket will be the "bargin" bin as they are both dead end sockets.

If you have some room in the budget then AMD's new AM5 socket is the only choice with a future upgrade path at tis time. Intel is switching sockets again with their new cpu's later this year.

onthemour

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
WOW I am outdated. amd cpus were garbage back when I was playing. I have a good psu. is the cable options out of date alos been reading up on stuff. a lot has changed. my budget is to low to start from scratch at the moment which was what i feared

I guess I can give this comp to my daughter once I get my new going. I quit when Oculus was just about to release their new product ,just after facebook bought them

I don't want low end that is for sure. I used to go for high end and my 780 sli was nice for 1440p but now i'm thinking 8k but 1440p will make it much cheaper. My budget is to low to start a new rig and buying bit by bit will suck as I will have a good MB and cpu but then have to wait awhile to save up for the rest , I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
WOW I am outdated. amd cpus were garbage back when I was playing. I have a good psu. is the cable options out of date alos been reading up on stuff. a lot has changed. my budget is to low to start from scratch at the moment which was what i feared

I guess I can give this comp to my daughter once I get my new going. I quit when Oculus was just about to release their new product ,just after facebook bought them

I don't want low end that is for sure. I used to go for high end and my 780 sli was nice for 1440p but now i'm thinking 8k but 1440p will make it much cheaper. My budget is to low to start a new rig and buying bit by bit will suck as I will have a good MB and cpu but then have to wait awhile to save up for the rest , I think
You're right about AMD were garbage for gaming, I always use to go for Intel....how things have changed, now lower end AMD CPUs will beat Intel's top end in games, so I just built an AMD rig.

As for your PSU and cables, not too much has changed, some motherboards use an extra 4 pin CPU power connector along with the standard 8 pin. Also, on Nvidia founders graphic cards, they have used new connectors, but most board partners stayed with the old 8 pin connectors and use 2 or 3 of them.

Unfortunately, like you seem to now realize, you will need to start all over again with your build, there are no upgrade options available to you.

Last edited:
You're right about AMD were garbage for gaming, I always use to go for Intel....how things have changed, now lower end AMD CPUs will beat Intel's top end in games, so I just built an AMD rig.

As for your PSU and cables, not too much has changed, some motherboards use an extra 4 pin CPU power connector along with the standard 8 pin. Also, on Nvidia founders graphic cards, they have used new connectors, but most board partners stayed with the old 8 pin connectors and use 2 or 3 of them.

Unfortunately, like you seem to now realize, you will need to start all over again with your build, there are no upgrade options available to you.
7600.jpg