upgrading or not ?? please help a dude out

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
what's up people !!!

I'm currently running a benq XL2720Z and thinking of upgrading to the asus pg279q, but my question is ...... is this a decent upgrade, or do you got any other suggestions..

I would like an IPS panel with 144hz and fast response time, the benq got 144hz 1ms response.

Thanks

Solution
Is it worth it to you? That's what you need to answer.
Also, your video card will have to work a lot harder to give you the same framerates you are currently getting at 1080p. The PG279Q's native resolution is 1440p.

What video card is this hooked up to?

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

msi gtx 1080

Hi Stevo:D

If you will be upgrading your video card in the near future I would make the move. I see that as being 1080 Ti's turf. When a monitor is purchased for gaming the circle of hardware needs to have a balance. Nobody can be getting ahead or behind one another. This you know but others may not. To keep up with a 1440p 144Hz monitor the PC needs to be sending 144 frames per second down the pipeline to the monitor. Can your PC do that on all the games you currently play?

The PC can't unless you just play a few lower end games which seems unlikely, so you need to invest an extra $200 or so for G-sync which certainly adds a hefty price increase. That's cheaper than investing in a 1080 Ti. That means that I think you're making a smart and informed upgrade.

For maybe $100 or or so more you could first purchase a 1080 Ti and then buy the monitor without G-sync price hike with all your other preferences and save some money in the long run. It's just a possibility. You then sell the 1080 and recoup a nice chunk of change at the end of your upgrade journey. To be clear I am not suggesting you do this all at once unless you can. But over time you'll come out ahead. A monetary return on patience?

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

i play alot of rocket league, pubg, bf, farcry5. but i do think the gsync will help alot right ?

If you got any suggestions on what to get please let me know !

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

you know what you are talking about bro. This sounds alot better !

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

What do you think if i upgrade to the LG 32GK850G Va panel, but a decent upgrade right ?

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Well, when I look into e.g. PUBG in WQHD I find the performance of your current GTX 1080 with around 120 FPS more than good and thus for the time being would go for buying the new monitor. Of course the 1080 ti delivers even better framerates, but is an additional 20-30 FPS really worth the price? If you ask me...no.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Playerunknowns-Battlegrounds-Spiel-60812/Specials/PUBG-10-Final-Benchmarks-Performance-1247598/

I'd stick to an IPS panel.

With the hardware you have now you need to have G-sync because the PC, as it sits, can't give the monitor what it needs which is why I said I thought this was a good upgrade. However IF you first purchase a 1080 Ti you won't need the g-sync except with only the most demanding titles. I am suggesting you balance the scales to avoid g-sync's price.

I already have an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid. I have a little more freedom with the monitors I can choose that won't need G-sync. It also stays cooler under pressure. It never exceeds 55c at 1440p with v-sync off/ ultra. Nvidia's GPU Boost 3.0 will give my 1080 Ti a slight advantage over another fan cooled 1080 Ti with everything else being equal.

Nutshell: Your PC can't keep up with your monitor upgrade.

Solution

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

But then the big question, which one should i buy ? Man, this is hard, i would like to get the best bang for my bucks.

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

Thanks man. Now some suggestions om what monitor to buy.

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
So to make a long story short.
I have to buy a gtx1080ti first?
Damn.
That sucks because like 2 months ago i build this system. Only thing that is still old is my benq.
I got like a 1000 dollars.
I was hoping that i will find a good monitor. 1440p with 144hz. But what you are saying my card is not up to the test.

100% yes. The higher refresh results in a smoother experience. Past that I don't see anyone having the ocular perception necessary to appreciate the difference. But before that point the extra 20+ FPS will help the experience. The more pages you have in a flip book the better the the viewing experience. We are just seeing a progression of stills. Same concept. I see it as worth it. Opinions vary.

stevorijswijk

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
Ok. So if i upgrade to a 1440p 144hz ips monitor and keep the gtx1080 this will not work well am i right ?
So i'm better of buying a gtx1080ti? This really confuses me. Because i thought my gtx1080 was a pretty good card.

Yes. It is a great card but monitors are ahead in the GFX dept.. Try 4K 60Hz with 1 1080 Ti and some games won't even reach 60fps. And then SLI isn't universally compatible... But I digress.

TRENDING THREADS