Upgrading, partitions, XP Home and XP Pro? Help!

So, I recently bought a new computer from Dell for our small office. It
came pre-installed with Windows XP Home, which we wanted to upgrade to
XP Pro. I did what I thought was a clean install by deleting the
partition that the original OS was on and installing the XP Pro on a
new partition. However, now when I startup I am given an option between
using XP Pro and XP Home. Does this mean that they are actually
installed on the same partition? (Because I hear this is a bad thing.)
Or are they installed on two different partitions and I just have a
multiboot system? And if they are on two different partitions, how
would I delete the one with XP Home on it? Mind you, I know very little
about computers, so too much jargon will likely confuse me! Thanks for
any help!

--
teamchild

teamchild <teamchild.1v0idq@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>So, I recently bought a new computer from Dell for our small office. It
>came pre-installed with Windows XP Home, which we wanted to upgrade to
>XP Pro. I did what I thought was a clean install by deleting the
>partition that the original OS was on and installing the XP Pro on a
>new partition. However, now when I startup I am given an option between
>using XP Pro and XP Home. Does this mean that they are actually
>installed on the same partition? (Because I hear this is a bad thing.)
>Or are they installed on two different partitions and I just have a
>multiboot system? And if they are on two different partitions, how
>would I delete the one with XP Home on it? Mind you, I know very little
>about computers, so too much jargon will likely confuse me! Thanks for
>any help!

Do you really have an actual or anticipated need for at least one of
the features or functions that are found only in XP Pro and which are
not part of XP Home? Because if not then there is probably no need
for you to upgrade to XP Pro because other than these specific items
there is no difference between the two versions, and they are compiled
from the same source code base. In particular there is zero
difference in performance or stability between the two systems.

Also, for future reference, you should research your Dell purchase
carefully before committing to the order. Usually it is possible to
specific XP Pro with the new system rather than XP Home, and the price
difference is very much less than purchasing XP Pro separately.
Another consideration is that you may have problems in getting tech
support from Dell for your new computer because of the changed
operating system.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Just curious - how did you "delete the partition with Windows XP Home
edition"?

Double Click on MyComputer and see how many drive Icons you have. You
should have one for the C: drive If you have two hard drive Icons then you
created and installed WinXP Pro on a new partition
now called the D: drive. If not, then you probably have two Windows
Folders on the C: Drive. Maybe, Windows and
Windows2. If that's the case you have WinXPHome and WinXP Pro both on
the C: partition. Either way you have a
dual boot system if both choices work Ok. Let me know which
configuration you have and I will help you further.